2003-05-14 06:29:06

by Pau Aliagas

Subject: cannot boot 2.5.69

I still find no way to boot a 2.5.69 kernel.
It reports: "no console found, specify init= option"
But the console is specified and the messages appear till this point:

This is the relevant part of my config:
CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_HW_CONSOLE=y
# CONFIG_LP_CONSOLE is not set
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
# CONFIG_MDA_CONSOLE is not set
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y

What am I missing?
Pau

2003-05-14 13:06:53

by walt

Subject: Re: cannot boot 2.5.69

Pau Aliagas wrote:
> I still find no way to boot a 2.5.69 kernel.
> It reports: "no console found, specify init= option"
> But the console is specified and the messages appear till this point:
>
> This is the relevant part of my config:

I have CONFIG_VT=y at this spot in 'character devices'.

> CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
> CONFIG_HW_CONSOLE=y
> # CONFIG_LP_CONSOLE is not set
> CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
> # CONFIG_MDA_CONSOLE is not set
> CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y

2003-05-14 14:16:30

by Ahmed Masud

On Wed, 14 May 2003, walt wrote:

> Pau Aliagas wrote:
> > I still find no way to boot a 2.5.69 kernel.
> > It reports: "no console found, specify init= option"

Looks as if init can't seem to find the device node file... Check your
/dev to see if there is a console entry there:

/dev/console c 5 1

This isn't a kernel issue.

Ahmed.

2003-05-14 14:23:47

by Pau Aliagas

On Wed, 14 May 2003, Ahmed Masud wrote:

> On Wed, 14 May 2003, walt wrote:
>
> > Pau Aliagas wrote:
> > > I still find no way to boot a 2.5.69 kernel.
> > > It reports: "no console found, specify init= option"
>
> Looks as if init can't seem to find the device node file... Check your
> /dev to see if there is a console entry there:
>
> /dev/console c 5 1

That's exactly what I have and still no way.

> This isn't a kernel issue.

Well, I'm looking for a bit of help to test 2.5 kernels in several
machines (laptops, servers, desktops) because I have not been able to
solve this problem.

Pau

2003-05-14 15:12:36

by Al Viro

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 04:36:26PM +0200, Pau Aliagas wrote:
> On Wed, 14 May 2003, Ahmed Masud wrote:

> > Looks as if init can't seem to find the device node file... Check your
> > /dev to see if there is a console entry there:
> >
> > /dev/console c 5 1
>
> That's exactly what I have and still no way.
>
> > This isn't a kernel issue.
>
> Well, I'm looking for a bit of help to test 2.5 kernels in several
> machines (laptops, servers, desktops) because I have not been able to
> solve this problem.

What kind of console do you have configured in and what's your kernel
command line?

2003-05-14 15:25:00

by Pau Aliagas

On Wed, 14 May 2003 [email protected] wrote:

> What kind of console do you have configured in and what's your kernel
> command line?

It's a Dell laptop, nothing special.

This is the relevant part of my config:
CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_HW_CONSOLE=y
# CONFIG_LP_CONSOLE is not set
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
# CONFIG_MDA_CONSOLE is not set
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y

And the part of /boot/grub/grub.conf:
title Pau Linux (2.5.69)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.5.69 ro root=/dev/hda1

Pau

2003-05-14 21:30:27

by James Simmons

> > What kind of console do you have configured in and what's your kernel
> > command line?
>
> It's a Dell laptop, nothing special.
>
> This is the relevant part of my config:
> CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
> CONFIG_HW_CONSOLE=y
> # CONFIG_LP_CONSOLE is not set
> CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
> # CONFIG_MDA_CONSOLE is not set
> CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
>
> And the part of /boot/grub/grub.conf:
> title Pau Linux (2.5.69)
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /vmlinuz-2.5.69 ro root=/dev/hda1

Try using

# CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE is not set

Let me know if this works. Then try the latest BK tree. I sent in fix for
the locking some dual headed systems where experiencing.