2003-06-03 14:42:30

by Krzysztof Halasa

Subject: select for UNIX sockets?

Hi,

Should something like this work correctly?

while(1) {
FD_ZERO(&set);
FD_SET(fd, &set);
select(FD_SETSIZE, NULL, &set, NULL, NULL); <<<<<<< for writing

if (FD_ISSET(fd, &set))
sendto(fd, &datagram, 1, 0, ...);
}

fd is a normal local datagram socket. It looks select() returns with
"fd ready for write" and sendto() then blocks as the queue is full.

I don't know if it's expected behaviour or just a not yet known bug.
Of course, I have a more complete test program if needed.

2.4.21rc6, haven't tried any other version.

strace shows:

select(1024, NULL, [3], NULL, NULL) = 1 (out [3])
sendto(3, "\0", 1, 0, {sa_family=AF_UNIX, path="/tmp/tempUn"}, 13 <<< blocks
--
Krzysztof Halasa
Network Administrator

2003-06-03 15:38:18

by Alan

Subject: Re: select for UNIX sockets?

On Maw, 2003-06-03 at 01:08, Krzysztof Halasa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Should something like this work correctly?

Sort of. The wakeup may occur for several reasons and you need to check
the return (for signals). Also the wakeup can occur when there is room
but another thread fills it, or return room but not enough for a large
datagram. Those don't seem to be the case on your example

2003-06-04 11:42:49

by Jesse Pollard

On Monday 02 June 2003 19:08, Krzysztof Halasa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Should something like this work correctly?
>
> while(1) {
> FD_ZERO(&set);
> FD_SET(fd, &set);
> select(FD_SETSIZE, NULL, &set, NULL, NULL); <<<<<<< for writing
>
> if (FD_ISSET(fd, &set))
> sendto(fd, &datagram, 1, 0, ...);
> }
>
> fd is a normal local datagram socket. It looks select() returns with
> "fd ready for write" and sendto() then blocks as the queue is full.
>
> I don't know if it's expected behaviour or just a not yet known bug.
> Of course, I have a more complete test program if needed.
>
> 2.4.21rc6, haven't tried any other version.
>
> strace shows:
>
> select(1024, NULL, [3], NULL, NULL) = 1 (out [3])
> sendto(3, "\0", 1, 0, {sa_family=AF_UNIX, path="/tmp/tempUn"}, 13 <<<
> blocks

Could. There may be room for the buffer, but unless it is set to nonblock,
you may have a stream open to another host that may not accept the data (busy,
network congestion...) With the required acks, the return may (should?) be
delayed until the ack arrives.

2003-06-04 12:06:36

by Petr Vandrovec

On 4 Jun 03 at 6:55, Jesse Pollard wrote:
> On Monday 02 June 2003 19:08, Krzysztof Halasa wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Should something like this work correctly?
> >
> > while(1) {
> > FD_ZERO(&set);
> > FD_SET(fd, &set);
> > select(FD_SETSIZE, NULL, &set, NULL, NULL); <<<<<<< for writing
> >
> > if (FD_ISSET(fd, &set))
> > sendto(fd, &datagram, 1, 0, ...);
> > }
> >
> > fd is a normal local datagram socket. It looks select() returns with
> > "fd ready for write" and sendto() then blocks as the queue is full.
> >
> > I don't know if it's expected behaviour or just a not yet known bug.
> > Of course, I have a more complete test program if needed.
> >
> > 2.4.21rc6, haven't tried any other version.
> >
> > strace shows:
> >
> > select(1024, NULL, [3], NULL, NULL) = 1 (out [3])
> > sendto(3, "\0", 1, 0, {sa_family=AF_UNIX, path="/tmp/tempUn"}, 13 <<<
> > blocks
>
> Could. There may be room for the buffer, but unless it is set to nonblock,
> you may have a stream open to another host that may not accept the data (busy,
> network congestion...) With the required acks, the return may (should?) be
> delayed until the ack arrives.

Besides that select() on unconnected socket is nonsense... If you'll
change code to do connect(), select(), send(), then it should work,
unless I missed something.
Petr Vandrovec

by Krzysztof Halasa

Jesse Pollard <[email protected]> writes:

> > select(1024, NULL, [3], NULL, NULL) = 1 (out [3])
> > sendto(3, "\0", 1, 0, {sa_family=AF_UNIX, path="/tmp/tempUn"}, 13 <<<
> > blocks
>
> Could. There may be room for the buffer, but unless it is set to nonblock,
> you may have a stream open to another host that may not accept the data
> (busy,
> network congestion...) With the required acks, the return may (should?) be
> delayed until the ack arrives.

But it's local datagram socket (UNIX). OTOH TCP to remote host should
not block waiting for acks.
--
Krzysztof Halasa
Network Administrator

2003-06-05 13:04:11

by Krzysztof Halasa

Krzysztof Halasa <[email protected]> writes:

> but unix_peer_get(sk) returns NULL.

Well... I missed the fact that this program uses "unconnected" UNIX UDP.
Still, it shouldn't block on sendmsg after a successful select(), maybe
dropping the packet should be better?. It's not that simple.

Thanks for all replies, investigating this issue further.
--
Krzysztof Halasa
Network Administrator

2003-06-06 00:15:20

by Valdis Klētnieks

On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 14:19:34 +0200, Petr Vandrovec said:

> > > FD_ZERO(&set);
> > > FD_SET(fd, &set);
> > > select(FD_SETSIZE, NULL, &set, NULL, NULL); <<<<<<< for writing
> > >
> > > if (FD_ISSET(fd, &set))
> > > sendto(fd, &datagram, 1, 0, ...);

> Besides that select() on unconnected socket is nonsense... If you'll
> change code to do connect(), select(), send(), then it should work,
> unless I missed something.

We FD_SET the bit, ignore the return value of select, and test if the bit is
still set. Plenty of programming bad karma there. However, one would vaguely
hope that the kernel would notice that the socket isn't connected and -ENOTCONN
rather than blocking....

Attachments:
(No filename) (226.00 B)

2003-06-06 00:24:43

by Petr Vandrovec

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 08:28:46PM -0400, [email protected] wrote:

> > Besides that select() on unconnected socket is nonsense... If you'll
> > change code to do connect(), select(), send(), then it should work,
> > unless I missed something.
>
> We FD_SET the bit, ignore the return value of select, and test if the bit is
> still set. Plenty of programming bad karma there. However, one would vaguely
> hope that the kernel would notice that the socket isn't connected and -ENOTCONN
> rather than blocking....

You'll get ENOTCONN from send, just sendto blocks. select() returns that fd is
ready because this end of socket is ready, and there is probably at least one
UNIX socket on the system which is ready to accept data - so I think that it
is correct that select() returns data ready.

I think that whole problem comes from code's author idea that UNIX datagram
sockets are equivalent to UDP through localhost while they are completely
different thing.
Petr Vandrovec

by MarKol

Hi!

Since I was an initiator of this topic on one of the Polish Linux groups
I'd like to explain some issues. We've been porting some larger piece of
software from Solaris to Linux and problem has arisen. Below is
corrected
example (with errors checking after function calls), where isolated
problem
is presented. I hope this will cut off any suggestions that some of
function
calls return errors which aren't detected and handled.

An experiment shows that there is no error occurrences while running
these
examples on Linux and sender blocks on sendto() (after sending
_successfully_
some datagrams to the receiver) when select() returns with ready to
write descriptor.

The same example works _correct_ on Solaris and QNX (sender blocks on
select() call and _never_ on sendto() ).

Question is:
Am I doing something wrong or maybe there is a bug in select() function
under Linux?

/* ---------- start: sender source ----------- */
#include <unistd.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/socket.h>
#include <sys/un.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <errno.h>
#include <string.h>

int socketUn;
struct sockaddr_un addrUn;
int lenUn;
char datagram[2000];
int dgramCounter = 0;
fd_set writeFdToWatch;

void sockInit(void);

int main(){
sockInit();

while(1) {
FD_ZERO(&writeFdToWatch);
FD_SET(socketUn, &writeFdToWatch);

printf("slct:"); fflush(stdout);
int retval = select(socketUn+1, (fd_set *)NULL,
&writeFdToWatch,(fd_set *)NULL,
(struct timeval *)NULL);

if (retval==-1){ // select returned error
perror("select() : "); exit(-1);
}else if (retval==0){ // timeout or another wakeup reason
printf("????\n"); fflush(stdout);
}else{ // there are ready descriptors
if ( FD_ISSET(socketUn, &writeFdToWatch) ) {
printf("sndt:"); fflush(stdout);
int size = sendto(socketUn, &datagram, sizeof(datagram),
0, (struct sockaddr *)&addrUn, lenUn);
if (size == -1){
perror("sendto() : "); exit(-1);
}else if ( size!=sizeof(datagram) ){
perror("sendto() - size incorrect : "); exit(-1);
}
printf("sent - %3d\n", ++dgramCounter); fflush(stdout);
}else{ // disaster??
printf("????\n"); fflush(stdout);
}
}
}
return 0;
}

void sockInit(void) {
socketUn = socket(AF_UNIX, SOCK_DGRAM, 0);
if (socketUn == -1){
perror("socket() : "); exit(-1);
}
addrUn.sun_family = AF_UNIX;
strcpy(addrUn.sun_path, "/tmp/tempUn");
lenUn = strlen(addrUn.sun_path) + sizeof(addrUn.sun_family);
}
/* ---------- end: sender source ----------- */

/* ---------- start: receiver source ----------- */
#include <unistd.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/socket.h>
#include <sys/un.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <errno.h>
#include <string.h>

int socketUn;
struct sockaddr_un addrUn;
int lenUn;
int size;
char datagram[2000];

void sockInit(void);

int main() {
sockInit();

while(1) {
printf("Sleep ...\n");
sleep(15);

do {
size = recvfrom(socketUn, &datagram, sizeof(datagram), 0,
(struct sockaddr*)NULL, (socklen_t *)NULL);
if (size == -1){
if (errno != EAGAIN){ // there is no data available now
perror("recvfrom() : "); exit(-1);
}
break;
}else if ( size != sizeof datagram ){
perror("recvfrom() - size : "); exit(-1);
}
printf ("Ok:"); fflush(stdout);
}
while( size!=-1 );
}
}

void sockInit(void) {
if ( unlink("/tmp/tempUn") == -1 ){
perror("unlink() : ");
}

socketUn = socket(AF_UNIX, SOCK_DGRAM, 0);
if (socketUn == -1){
perror("socket() : "); exit(-1);
}

addrUn.sun_family = AF_UNIX;

strcpy(addrUn.sun_path, "/tmp/tempUn");
lenUn = strlen(addrUn.sun_path) + sizeof(addrUn.sun_family);
if ( bind(socketUn, (struct sockaddr *)&addrUn, lenUn) == -1 ){
perror("bind() : "); exit(-1);
}

if ( fcntl(socketUn, F_SETFL, O_APPEND|O_NONBLOCK) == -1 ){
perror("fcntl() : "); exit(-1);
}
}
/* ---------- end: receiver source ----------- */

PS.
You should run receiver before sender in order to perform this test
successfully

Marek Kolacz

2003-06-07 00:00:59

by David Schwartz

> Since I was an initiator of this topic on one of the Polish Linux groups
> I'd like to explain some issues. We've been porting some larger piece of
> software from Solaris to Linux and problem has arisen. Below is
> corrected
> example (with errors checking after function calls), where isolated
> problem
> is presented. I hope this will cut off any suggestions that some of
> function
> calls return errors which aren't detected and handled.
>
> An experiment shows that there is no error occurrences while running
> these
> examples on Linux and sender blocks on sendto() (after sending
> _successfully_
> some datagrams to the receiver) when select() returns with ready to
> write descriptor.
>
> The same example works _correct_ on Solaris and QNX (sender blocks on
> select() call and _never_ on sendto() ).
>
> Question is:
> Am I doing something wrong or maybe there is a bug in select() function
> under Linux?

You are doing something wrong. You are using 'select' along with blocking
I/O operations. You can't make bricks without clay. If you don't want to
block, you must use non-blocking socket operations. End of story.

Just because 'select' indicates a write hit, you are not assured that some
particular write at a later time will not block. Past performance does not
guarantee future results.

Suppose, for example, a machine has two network interfaces. One is very
busy, queue full, and one is totally idle, queue empty. What do you think
'select' for write on an unconnected UDP socket should do? If you say it
should block, then it can block forever even if there's plenty of buffer
space on the network card you were going to send to. So, it can't block, it
must indicate writability.

Now, tell me what a blocking UDP write should do if the buffer is full.
Should it return success but drop the packet silently? Does that seem right
to you?

You have any number of sane choices. My suggestion is that you make the
socket non-blocking and treat an EWOULDBLOCK return as equivalent to
success. You can additionally take it as a hint that the packet will be as
if it was dropped.

DS

2003-06-07 23:55:23

by Krzysztof Halasa

"David Schwartz" <[email protected]> writes:

> You are doing something wrong. You are using 'select' along with
> blocking
> I/O operations. You can't make bricks without clay. If you don't want to
> block, you must use non-blocking socket operations. End of story.

There is a little problem here. Do you see any place for select() here?
There isn't any.

If you have a working select(), you can use (blocking or non-blocking)
I/O functions a get a) low latency b) small CPU overhead.
If you want to use non-blocking I/O, either with broken select() or
without it at all, you get either a) high latency, or b) high CPU overhead.

> Just because 'select' indicates a write hit, you are not assured
> that some
> particular write at a later time will not block. Past performance does not
> guarantee future results.

The problem is select() on UNIX datagram sockets returns immediately,
and thus it could be well substituted by a NOP. There isn't any
"performance".

> Suppose, for example, a machine has two network interfaces. One is very
> busy, queue full, and one is totally idle, queue empty. What do you think
> 'select' for write on an unconnected UDP socket should do? If you say it
> should block, then it can block forever even if there's plenty of buffer
> space on the network card you were going to send to. So, it can't block, it
> must indicate writability.

That's a little different problem, and a datagram will be transmitted by
this busy interface at last (while you will never send a datagram if nobody
is reading the socket).

Hoverer, select() doesn't work on connected sockets either (I missed
the fact the example program doesn't connect at first, but it's
unimportant here).

> You have any number of sane choices. My suggestion is that you make the
> socket non-blocking and treat an EWOULDBLOCK return as equivalent to
> success. You can additionally take it as a hint that the packet will be as
> if it was dropped.

You essentially transform a code such as:
while () {
select();
blocking_send();
}

into:

while() {
non_blocking_send();
}

Not very CPU-friendly :-(

Having working select() on at least connected sockets is a must.

intrepid:/tmp$ strace -f ./test 2>&1 |egrep 'socket|bind|connect|send|recv'

[pid 1051] socket(PF_UNIX, SOCK_DGRAM, 0) = 3
[pid 1051] bind(3, {sa_family=AF_UNIX, path="/tmp/test"}, 11) = 0
[pid 1050] socket(PF_UNIX, SOCK_DGRAM, 0) = 3
[pid 1050] connect(3, {sa_family=AF_UNIX, path="/tmp/test"}, 11) = 0
[pid 1050] send(3, "\1", 1, 0) = 1
[pid 1050] send(3, "\1", 1, 0) = 1
[pid 1050] send(3, "\1", 1, 0) = 1
[pid 1050] send(3, "\1", 1, 0) = 1
[pid 1050] send(3, "\1", 1, 0) = 1
[pid 1050] send(3, "\1", 1, 0) = 1
[pid 1050] send(3, "\1", 1, 0) = 1
[pid 1050] send(3, "\1", 1, 0) = 1
[pid 1050] send(3, "\1", 1, 0) = 1
[pid 1050] send(3, "\1", 1, 0) = 1
[pid 1050] send(3, "\1", 1, 0) = 1 <<<<< the last packet queued
[pid 1050] send(3, "\1", 1, 0 <unfinished ...> <<<<<< doesn't fit in queue
[pid 1051] recvfrom(3, "\1", 2000, 0, NULL, NULL) = 1
[pid 1051] recvfrom(3, "\1", 2000, 0, NULL, NULL) = 1
[pid 1051] recvfrom(3, "\1", 2000, 0, NULL, NULL) = 1
[pid 1051] recvfrom(3, "\1", 2000, 0, NULL, NULL) = 1
[pid 1051] recvfrom(3, "\1", 2000, 0, NULL, NULL) = 1 <<<<< makes room
[pid 1050] <... send resumed> ) = 1
[pid 1050] send(3, "\1", 1, 0) = 1
[pid 1050] send(3, "\1", 1, 0) = 1
[pid 1050] send(3, "\1", 1, 0) = 1
[pid 1050] send(3, "\1", 1, 0) = 1
[pid 1050] send(3, "\1", 1, 0 <unfinished ...>
--
Krzysztof Halasa
Network Administrator

2003-06-08 04:02:21

by Chris Friesen

David Schwartz wrote:

> You are doing something wrong. You are using 'select' along with blocking
> I/O operations. You can't make bricks without clay. If you don't want to
> block, you must use non-blocking socket operations. End of story.

That's funny, I was under the impression that the whole point of using select()
was to enable the use of blocking I/O. If you are on a uniprocessor system, in
a single thread, and select() says that a socket is writeable, then I had darn
well better be able to write to that socket!

Sure, this gets more complicated when multiprocessing or multithreading, but the
test program does neither of these.

> Just because 'select' indicates a write hit, you are not assured that some
> particular write at a later time will not block. Past performance does not
> guarantee future results.

Think about the whole reason for select()'s existance. If a single-threaded app
calls select() and is told a socket is writeable, then a write to that socket
should either immediately succeed or immediately fail (if the other socket
disappeared in between the calls, for instance).

Now granted I use non-blocking I/O out of paranoia, but even there if select()
says it is writeable and the send call returns EAGAIN then we get into a nice
little infinite loop.

select() should be reliable.

Chris

--
Chris Friesen | MailStop: 043/33/F10
Nortel Networks | work: (613) 765-0557

2003-06-09 02:57:47

by David Schwartz

> "David Schwartz" <[email protected]> writes:

> > You are doing something wrong. You are using 'select' along with
> > blocking
> > I/O operations. You can't make bricks without clay. If you don't want to
> > block, you must use non-blocking socket operations. End of story.

> There is a little problem here. Do you see any place for select() here?
> There isn't any.

For unconnected UDP sockets, I see no place for 'select'ing for write. No.

> If you have a working select(), you can use (blocking or non-blocking)
> I/O functions a get a) low latency b) small CPU overhead.
> If you want to use non-blocking I/O, either with broken select() or
> without it at all, you get either a) high latency, or b) high CPU
> overhead.

It is fundamental that an application that sends UDP packets must control
the transmit timing. That's just the way it is with UDP.

> > Just because 'select' indicates a write hit, you are not assured
> > that some
> > particular write at a later time will not block. Past
> > performance does not
> > guarantee future results.

> The problem is select() on UNIX datagram sockets returns immediately,
> and thus it could be well substituted by a NOP. There isn't any
> "performance".

Right. It's silly to 'select' on an unconnected UDP datagram socket. There
is no single defined buffer whose fullness or emptiness can be the subject
of the 'select'ing. It's not like TCP where there's a send queue and the
network stack is responsible for transmit pacing. With UDP, the application
is responsible for transmit pacing.

> > Suppose, for example, a machine has two network interfaces.
> One is very
> > busy, queue full, and one is totally idle, queue empty. What do
> you think
> > 'select' for write on an unconnected UDP socket should do? If you say it
> > should block, then it can block forever even if there's plenty of buffer
> > space on the network card you were going to send to. So, it
> can't block, it
> > must indicate writability.

> That's a little different problem, and a datagram will be transmitted by
> this busy interface at last (while you will never send a datagram
> if nobody
> is reading the socket).

> Hoverer, select() doesn't work on connected sockets either (I missed
> the fact the example program doesn't connect at first, but it's
> unimportant here).

It really doesn't matter. UDP applications have to control the transmit
pacing at application level. There is absolutely no way for the kernel to
know whether the path to the recipient is congested or not.

> > You have any number of sane choices. My suggestion is that
> > you make the
> > socket non-blocking and treat an EWOULDBLOCK return as equivalent to
> > success. You can additionally take it as a hint that the packet
> > will be as
> > if it was dropped.

> You essentially transform a code such as:
> while () {
> select();
> blocking_send();
> }
>
> into:
>
> while() {
> non_blocking_send();
> }
>
> Not very CPU-friendly :-(

No, no no. This is not how you write UDP applications. If you're sending
UDP, you must have a transmit scheduler somewhere.

> Having working select() on at least connected sockets is a must.

The kernel can't tell you when to send because that depends upon factors
that are remote. The application *MUST* schedule its transmissions. There's
no two ways about it.

Yes, it would be nice of the kernel helped more. But the application has to
deal with remote packet loss as well. It HAS TO decide when to send the
packet and can't rely upon the availability or unavailability of local
resources to mean anything with regard to the connection as a whole.

DS

2003-06-09 02:52:21

by David Schwartz

> David Schwartz wrote:
>
> > Yu are doing something wrong. You are using 'select' along
> > with blocking
> > I/O operations. You can't make bricks without clay. If you don't want to
> > block, you must use non-blocking socket operations. End of story.

> That's funny, I was under the impression that the whole point of
> using select()
> was to enable the use of blocking I/O.

This is a very common misconception. No, the point of 'select' is to hint
to you when you should attempt a non-blocking socket operation. It has never
been the case that 'select' guaranteed that a following blocking operation
wouldn't block.

> If you are on a
> uniprocessor system, in
> a single thread, and select() says that a socket is writeable,
> then I had darn
> well better be able to write to that socket!

No. A 'write' hit from 'select' cannot guarantee that any arbitrary 'write'
won't block unless the following 'write' is non-blocking.

Consider a TCP connection. I get a 'write' hit, and then I call 'write' to
send 250Kb of data. Do you seriously want to argue that the kernel must
somehow handle that 250Kb without blocking?

> Sure, this gets more complicated when multiprocessing or
> multithreading, but the
> test program does neither of these.

No, it's more complicated in many situations. Suppose the kernel says a
connected UDP socket won't block because the network interface the packet
would go out is unused. Before you can call 'send', the interface goes down
and the packet now has to take a congested network interface. The 'write'
will block.

> > Just because 'select' indicates a write hit, you are not
> > assured that some
> > particular write at a later time will not block. Past
> > performance does not
> > guarantee future results.

> Think about the whole reason for select()'s existance. If a
> single-threaded app
> calls select() and is told a socket is writeable, then a write to
> that socket
> should either immediately succeed or immediately fail (if the
> other socket
> disappeared in between the calls, for instance).

Sure, but you can't ensure this in all cases unless you set the socket
non-blocking. The kernel can't guarantee the future and it has no way of
knowing that it's important to the application that the following operation
not block unless yuo tell it.

> Now granted I use non-blocking I/O out of paranoia, but even
> there if select()
> says it is writeable and the send call returns EAGAIN then we get
> into a nice
> little infinite loop.

Only if the application foolishly insists. For UDP, you should treat EAGAIN
as a hint that you're sending too fast. With UDP, the application is
responsible for send timing and can't foist this responsibility on the OS by
misusing 'select'.

> select() should be reliable.

It cannot be made so without other greater losses. The perfect is the enemy
of the good. Use it as a hint.

DS

2003-06-09 16:29:26

by MarKol