2003-06-26 23:06:06

by Timothy Miller

Subject: Re: AMD MP, SMP, Tyan 2466, REISERFS I/O error

Oleg Drokin wrote:

> Is not this is one of those heavy-PCI loaded boxes that ocasionally corrupt
> data when PCI is overloaded?
> The log you quoted shows that suddenly tree nodes have incorrect content
> (and the i/o error is because reiserfs does not know what to do with such nodes).
> (and we hope to push the patch that will print device where error have occured
> soon).

The PCI spec doesn't allow more than four slots per bus. Some boards
try to put on 5 or 6 slots anyhow, violating the spec. It's no wonder
there are so many problems with those boards.

You can often get them to work anyhow, but it involves swapping cards
around in slots until you find an arrangement that works, but it's still
unreliable.

2003-06-26 23:34:54

by Joel Jaeggli

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, Timothy Miller wrote:

> The PCI spec doesn't allow more than four slots per bus. Some boards
> try to put on 5 or 6 slots anyhow, violating the spec. It's no wonder
> there are so many problems with those boards.

the amd 760mpx chipset has two pci buses...

One, the Primary PCI 2.2 compliant 66-MHz/64-bit/32-bit PCI Bus is
connected to the amd 762 north bridge, the Secondary PCI 2.2 compliant
33-MHz/32-bit PCI Bus is connected to the amd 768 south bridge.

you won't find an mpx with more than 4 32 bit pci slots.

> You can often get them to work anyhow, but it involves swapping cards
> around in slots until you find an arrangement that works, but it's still
> unreliable.
>

> -

Joel Jaeggli Academic User Services [email protected]
-- PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E --
resort of the scoundrel. With all due respect to an enlightened but

by joe briggs

In this specific case of the Tyan S2466, it has 2 64/66 slots, and 4 32/33
slots. The chipset is the AMD 760MPX, AMD 762 system controller, and AMD
768 peripheral controller, and the Winbound 83627 super i/o asic.

I thought that this chipset actually had 2 pci controllers - one for the
64-bit slots and the other for the 32-bit. Am I wrong?

--
Joe Briggs
Briggs Media Systems