2003-08-02 17:45:49

by Matthias Schniedermeyer

Subject: System locks up hard when i delete a file while burning a DVD-R (seems reiserfs related)

Hi

Today it happened to me twice that i deleted a file (both around 400MB)
while i burned a DVD from the same partition. (Second time was a
"mistake", i deleted the file 10 minutes earlier and the system locked up
the moment the program, that had the file open, terminated)

The system just locked up hard, cdrecord was able to show a "sense key"
error (sorry, haven't written the message down) and then i had to press
the big red switch.

Kernel is 2.4.21 with only loop-aes-patch (wasn't in used)
System is a Dual-PIII-933Mhz.
Data-HDD is "standard" IDE drive. Connected to a Highpoint RocketRAID 1540
(374 Chipset)
DVD-Burner is connected via Firewire.

If any more details are need, i will provide them.

Bis denn

On Sat, Aug 02, 2003 at 07:45:40PM +0200, Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:
> Hi

First addendum.

Deleting files from another HDD doesn't make a difference.
(I created the next image to burn, while burning the prior. The moment i
deleted the source-files (4.5 GB in total) the system locked up hard)

Bis denn

On Sat, Aug 02, 2003 at 08:15:29PM +0200, Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 02, 2003 at 07:45:40PM +0200, Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:
> > Hi
>
> First addendum.
>
> Deleting files from another HDD doesn't make a difference.
> (I created the next image to burn, while burning the prior. The moment i
> deleted the source-files (4.5 GB in total) the system locked up hard)

Second addendum.

Deleting a single 4.5 GB file (same partition as the image-file that was
burning) didn't lock up the system, but maybe it was sheer luck.

Bis denn

by Tobias Muck

Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 02, 2003 at 07:45:40PM +0200, Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:

> Deleting files from another HDD doesn't make a difference.
> (I created the next image to burn, while burning the prior. The moment i
> deleted the source-files (4.5 GB in total) the system locked up hard)

Hi!

The same happend to me on friday:
while burning a DVD-RW and deleting the source files of the image, the
system locked up hard (SuSE Linux 8.2, Kernel 2.4.20-64GB-SMP, reiserfs,
pentium 4).

Tobias

2003-08-04 14:00:34

by Tobias Muck

> The same happend to me on friday:
> while burning a DVD-RW and deleting the source files of the image, the
> system locked up hard (SuSE Linux 8.2, Kernel 2.4.20-64GB-SMP,
> reiserfs, pentium 4 with HT).

addendum
This problem seems only to occur on smp systems.

Tobias