2003-08-13 15:21:47

by Jim Gifford

Subject: Re: 2.4.22-pre lockups (now decoded oops for pre10)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marcelo Tosatti" <[email protected]>
To: "Stephan von Krawczynski" <[email protected]>
Cc: <[email protected]>; <[email protected]>; <[email protected]>;
<[email protected]>; <[email protected]>; <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 7:53 AM

> On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 12:33:28 -0300 (BRT)
> > Marcelo Tosatti <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > That will provide further information yes. We can then know if the
problem
> > > is reiserfs specific or not, which is VERY useful.
> > >
> > > Again, thanks for your efforts helping us track down the problem.
> >
> > Status update:
> >
> > uptime:
> > 12:45pm up 2 days 19:39, 18 users, load average: 2.02, 2.05, 2.06
> >
> > Running SMP. So far no crash happened under ext3.
> > Still I see the tar-verification errors. None on the first day, 2 on the
second
> > and 2 today so far.
> > I see a growing possibility that the formerly crashes are directly
linked to a
> > reiserfs problem, maybe broken SMP-locking.
> > If it survives until sunday I will revert all ext3 back to reiserfs to
be sure
> > it still crashes, then ideas for patches will be welcome :-)
>
> Great you tracked it down. Your previous traces almost always involved
> reiserfs calls, which is another indicator that reiserfs is probably the
> problem here.
>
> Chris, Oleg, it might be nice if you guys could look at previous oops
> reports by Stephan.

Marcelo,
Could this be related to the issues I was having. Since rc1 I have not
had any problems, and I have all the iptables stuff running again. My
machine is smp and is using ext3.

2003-08-13 17:09:29

by Marcelo Tosatti

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Jim Gifford wrote:

> Marcelo,
> Could this be related to the issues I was having. Since rc1 I have not
> had any problems, and I have all the iptables stuff running again. My
> machine is smp and is using ext3.

Jim,

Dont think so. Your problems were caused by additional netfilter patches
or the dazuko module -- Stephan is not using any of those.