2004-01-03 23:03:20

by Robert L. Harris

Subject: Might this help with SCO?

I just went digging through my old boxes for something I thought I
had. Seems I have an old SLS Linux digribution, Release 0.99. The date
on the postmark is June 23, 1993. It's 30 5.25 Floppies but doesn't
list what kernel is on the floppies. If any of the guru's think it
might be worth getting ahold of any packages on it I can see if I have a
working 5.25" floppy around somewhere.

Robert

:wq!
Robert L. Harris | GPG Key ID: E344DA3B
@ x-hkp://pgp.mit.edu
DISCLAIMER:
These are MY OPINIONS ALONE. I speak for no-one else.

Life is not a destination, it's a journey.
Microsoft produces 15 car pileups on the highway.
Don't stop traffic to stand and gawk at the tragedy.

Attachments:
(No filename) (831.00 B)
signature.asc (189.00 B)
Digital signature

by Mike Fedyk

Subject: Re: Might this help with SCO?

On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 06:03:10PM -0500, Robert L. Harris wrote:

> I just went digging through my old boxes for something I thought I
> had. Seems I have an old SLS Linux digribution, Release 0.99. The date
> on the postmark is June 23, 1993. It's 30 5.25 Floppies but doesn't
> list what kernel is on the floppies. If any of the guru's think it
> might be worth getting ahold of any packages on it I can see if I have a
> working 5.25" floppy around somewhere.

Probably not. There are some old versions of Linux Kernel available on the
net. But it wouldn't it be embarrasing to show just how long some of the
things SCO is claiming have been in the kernel? ;)

2004-01-03 23:27:09

by Andries Brouwer

On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 06:03:10PM -0500, Robert L. Harris wrote:

> I just went digging through my old boxes for something I thought I
> had. Seems I have an old SLS Linux digribution, Release 0.99. The date
> on the postmark is June 23, 1993. It's 30 5.25 Floppies but doesn't
> list what kernel is on the floppies. If any of the guru's think it
> might be worth getting ahold of any packages on it I can see if I have a
> working 5.25" floppy around somewhere.

If you do actually read them I wouldn't mind a copy ([email protected]) or a URL.
But June 1993 is not very old, probably 0.99.10 - we already have some
older stuff, so probably it is not worth spending time on.

Andries

2004-01-03 23:38:42

by Joel Jaeggli

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004, Mike Fedyk wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 06:03:10PM -0500, Robert L. Harris wrote:
> >
> > I just went digging through my old boxes for something I thought I
> > had. Seems I have an old SLS Linux digribution, Release 0.99. The date
> > on the postmark is June 23, 1993. It's 30 5.25 Floppies but doesn't
> > list what kernel is on the floppies. If any of the guru's think it
> > might be worth getting ahold of any packages on it I can see if I have a
> > working 5.25" floppy around somewhere.
>
> Probably not. There are some old versions of Linux Kernel available on the
> net. But it wouldn't it be embarrasing to show just how long some of the
> things SCO is claiming have been in the kernel? ;)

What people where looking for is source for early versions of libc. dat
issue where the origin of the contents of ctype.h and errno.h.

a summary of this issues there is here:

http://kt.zork.net/kernel-traffic/latest.html#9

> -

Joel Jaeggli Unix Consulting [email protected]
GPG Key Fingerprint: 5C6E 0104 BAF0 40B0 5BD3 C38B F000 35AB B67F 56B2

2004-01-06 07:04:44

by Tovar

I still have hardcopies of pre-BSD Network UNIX (ca. 1975) if that's helpful.
That goes back to when there were about four UNIX machines on the ARPANet.
Let me know if it would help (albeit i'll want the originals back as i think
it's my only copy of the original 'pty.c' [which was based on the PDP-10
pseudo-teletype drivers at Stanford and MIT, thus was neither Bell nor BSD
code]).
-- Tovar

2004-01-06 07:12:16

by Al Viro

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 11:04:56PM -0800, Tovar wrote:
> I still have hardcopies of pre-BSD Network UNIX (ca. 1975) if that's helpful.
> That goes back to when there were about four UNIX machines on the ARPANet.
> Let me know if it would help (albeit i'll want the originals back as i think
> it's my only copy of the original 'pty.c' [which was based on the PDP-10
> pseudo-teletype drivers at Stanford and MIT, thus was neither Bell nor BSD
> code]).
> -- Tovar

PUPS folks might really like that one (http://www.tuhs.org)

2004-01-27 03:43:43

by Bernt Hansen

Hi,

This may or may not be useful but I've got sets of the "Linux
Developer's Resource" multi-CD sets put out by InfoMagic. The earliest
one I have is March 1995 (which is a 4-CD set). These include:
(according to the back of the box)
- Complete Linux archives from tsx-11.mit.edu and sunsite.unc.edu
- Complete GNU archive from prep.ai.mit.edu
- Debian 0.91/3
among other things including kernel sources (up to 1.2.1) etc.

The dates on some of the files in the tsx-11 archive go back to 1992.

If anyone is interested I can provide more information and extracts from
the archives.

Cheers,
Bernt.