2004-04-04 17:08:17

by Kyle Davenport

Subject: linux 2.4.25 crashes windows

No joke. 64-bit Windows Advanced Server 2003 blue-screens on file share
access. I was using Samba 3.0 on RH8 to routinely access windows
shares. When I upgraded from 2.4.22 to 2.4.25, any attempt to access a
sub-directory of a share mounted from 64-bit Win2003, immediately
crashes windows. I rolled back to 2.4.22 and no crash. I tried 2.4.25
against a 32-bit 2003 Win2003, and no crash. I didn't test different
versions of Samba. But on 2.4.25, trying to ls a sub-directory of the
mounted share or cd to that sub-directory, instantly and repeatedly
blue-screens windows.

I have no idea how the kernel change could be causing this. Seems to me
like it should depend entirely on Samba. I did attempt to reproduce the
problem with tcp-replay. I sent the identical tcp/ip packets involved
without crashing windows. Apparently share authentication is required.

My company has informed Microsoft of the problem, weeks ago, but I am
getting tired of waiting for a fix.

Congrats to everyone involved!

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2004-04-04 19:46:25

by Urban Widmark

Subject: Re: linux 2.4.25 crashes windows

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004, Kyle Davenport wrote:

> No joke. 64-bit Windows Advanced Server 2003 blue-screens on file share
> access. I was using Samba 3.0 on RH8 to routinely access windows
> shares. When I upgraded from 2.4.22 to 2.4.25, any attempt to access a
> sub-directory of a share mounted from 64-bit Win2003, immediately
> crashes windows. I rolled back to 2.4.22 and no crash. I tried 2.4.25
> against a 32-bit 2003 Win2003, and no crash. I didn't test different
> versions of Samba. But on 2.4.25, trying to ls a sub-directory of the
> mounted share or cd to that sub-directory, instantly and repeatedly
> blue-screens windows.

When you say mount, does that mean smbfs?

2.4.25 allows you to enable the cifs unix extensions in smbfs. Perhaps
turning those off makes a difference?

The other change is that smbfs in 2.4.25 has large file support. smbfs in
2.4.24 should behave like 2.4.22.

> I have no idea how the kernel change could be causing this. Seems to me
> like it should depend entirely on Samba. I did attempt to reproduce the

smbmount is only a mount tool, it does not transfer any other data.

/Urban

2004-04-05 04:57:27

by Kyle Davenport

Urban Widmark wrote:

>On Sun, 4 Apr 2004, Kyle Davenport wrote:
>

>>No joke. 64-bit Windows Advanced Server 2003 blue-screens on file share
>>access. I was using Samba 3.0 on RH8 to routinely access windows
>>shares. When I upgraded from 2.4.22 to 2.4.25, any attempt to access a
>>sub-directory of a share mounted from 64-bit Win2003, immediately
>>crashes windows. I rolled back to 2.4.22 and no crash. I tried 2.4.25
>>against a 32-bit 2003 Win2003, and no crash. I didn't test different
>>versions of Samba. But on 2.4.25, trying to ls a sub-directory of the
>>mounted share or cd to that sub-directory, instantly and repeatedly
>>blue-screens windows.
>>

>When you say mount, does that mean smbfs?

yes.

>2.4.25 allows you to enable the cifs unix extensions in smbfs. Perhaps
>turning those off makes a difference?
>
>The other change is that smbfs in 2.4.25 has large file support. smbfs in
>2.4.24 should behave like 2.4.22.

ok, I'll try that tomorrow. Any idea what those directives are?

--
Kyle Davenport - unix sys admin consultant - Dallas TX
_____________________________

2004-04-22 17:35:09

by Urban Widmark

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004, Kyle Davenport wrote:

> >2.4.25 allows you to enable the cifs unix extensions in smbfs. Perhaps
> >turning those off makes a difference?
> >
> >The other change is that smbfs in 2.4.25 has large file support. smbfs in
> >2.4.24 should behave like 2.4.22.
> >
> ok, I'll try that tomorrow. Any idea what those directives are?

You can turn off the "UE" in the config (make menuconfig or whatever).
I'm sure you figured that out already.

Did it make any difference?

/Urban