2004-09-21 12:36:26

by Tomasz Kłoczko

Subject: RARP support disapeard in kernel 2.6.x ?

I'm just try prepare ARP/RARP/TFTP boot host and ..

# rarp -a
This kernel does not support RARP.
# modprobe rarp
FATAL: Module rarp not found.

[linux-2.6.8.1]$ grep RARP .config
[linux-2.6.8.1]$

What hepen with RARP support in kernel 2.6.x ?

kloczek
*Ludzie nie maj? problem?w, tylko sobie sami je stwarzaj?*
Tomasz K?oczko, sys adm @zie.pg.gda.pl|*e-mail: [email protected]*

2004-09-21 12:44:35

by Tigran Aivazian

Subject: Re: RARP support disapeard in kernel 2.6.x ?

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, [ISO-8859-2] Tomasz K?oczko wrote:
> [linux-2.6.8.1]$ grep RARP .config

Hmmm, you expected the above trivial command to reveal the answer?
Besides, it assumes that you do have RARP configured in the kernel.

Try this command instead:

$ find -name Kconfig | xargs grep -i rarp
./net/ipv4/Kconfig: supplied on the kernel command line or by BOOTP or RARP protocols.
./net/ipv4/Kconfig:config IP_PNP_RARP
./net/ipv4/Kconfig: bool "IP: RARP support"
./net/ipv4/Kconfig: discovered automatically at boot time using the RARP protocol (an
./net/ipv4/Kconfig: here. Note that if you want to use RARP, a RARP server must be
./net/bridge/netfilter/Kconfig: This option adds the ARP match, which allows ARP and RARP header fi

The option you are looking for is CONFIG_IP_PNP_RARP.

Kind regards
Tigran

2004-09-21 12:52:22

by Tomasz Kłoczko

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Tigran Aivazian wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, [ISO-8859-2] Tomasz K?oczko wrote:
>> [linux-2.6.8.1]$ grep RARP .config
>
> Hmmm, you expected the above trivial command to reveal the answer?
> Besides, it assumes that you do have RARP configured in the kernel.
>
> Try this command instead:
>
> $ find -name Kconfig | xargs grep -i rarp
> ./net/ipv4/Kconfig: supplied on the kernel command line or by BOOTP or RARP protocols.
> ./net/ipv4/Kconfig:config IP_PNP_RARP
> ./net/ipv4/Kconfig: bool "IP: RARP support"
> ./net/ipv4/Kconfig: discovered automatically at boot time using the RARP protocol (an
> ./net/ipv4/Kconfig: here. Note that if you want to use RARP, a RARP server must be
> ./net/bridge/netfilter/Kconfig: This option adds the ARP match, which allows ARP and RARP header fi
>
> The option you are looking for is CONFIG_IP_PNP_RARP.

No. Look on IP_PNP_RARP description.
I don't want boot using RARP/ARP but want prepare system where will be
possible setup RARP table for boot other system using ARP/RARP/TFTP.

kloczek
*Ludzie nie maj? problem?w, tylko sobie sami je stwarzaj?*
Tomasz K?oczko, sys adm @zie.pg.gda.pl|*e-mail: [email protected]*

2004-09-21 12:54:13

by Tigran Aivazian

ah, you want a RARP server, not a client, sorry.
I thought you wanted a RARP client.

Kind regards
Tigran

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, [ISO-8859-2] Tomasz K?oczko wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Tigran Aivazian wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, [ISO-8859-2] Tomasz K?oczko wrote:
> >> [linux-2.6.8.1]$ grep RARP .config
> >
> > Hmmm, you expected the above trivial command to reveal the answer?
> > Besides, it assumes that you do have RARP configured in the kernel.
> >
> > Try this command instead:
> >
> > $ find -name Kconfig | xargs grep -i rarp
> > ./net/ipv4/Kconfig: supplied on the kernel command line or by BOOTP or RARP protocols.
> > ./net/ipv4/Kconfig:config IP_PNP_RARP
> > ./net/ipv4/Kconfig: bool "IP: RARP support"
> > ./net/ipv4/Kconfig: discovered automatically at boot time using the RARP protocol (an
> > ./net/ipv4/Kconfig: here. Note that if you want to use RARP, a RARP server must be
> > ./net/bridge/netfilter/Kconfig: This option adds the ARP match, which allows ARP and RARP header fi
> >
> > The option you are looking for is CONFIG_IP_PNP_RARP.
>
> No. Look on IP_PNP_RARP description.
> I don't want boot using RARP/ARP but want prepare system where will be
> possible setup RARP table for boot other system using ARP/RARP/TFTP.
>
> kloczek

2004-09-21 12:58:18

by Tigran Aivazian

so, isn't rarpd (userspace daemon) supposed to provide what you want?
It is installed on most distributions by default I think...

Kind regards
Tigran

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Tigran Aivazian wrote:

> ah, you want a RARP server, not a client, sorry.
> I thought you wanted a RARP client.
>
> Kind regards
> Tigran
>
> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, [ISO-8859-2] Tomasz K?oczko wrote:

> > > Hmmm, you expected the above trivial command to reveal the answer?
> > > Besides, it assumes that you do have RARP configured in the kernel.
> > >
> > > Try this command instead:
> > >
> > > $ find -name Kconfig | xargs grep -i rarp
> > > ./net/ipv4/Kconfig: supplied on the kernel command line or by BOOTP or RARP protocols.
> > > ./net/ipv4/Kconfig:config IP_PNP_RARP
> > > ./net/ipv4/Kconfig: bool "IP: RARP support"
> > > ./net/ipv4/Kconfig: discovered automatically at boot time using the RARP protocol (an
> > > ./net/ipv4/Kconfig: here. Note that if you want to use RARP, a RARP server must be
> > > ./net/bridge/netfilter/Kconfig: This option adds the ARP match, which allows ARP and RARP header fi
> > >
> > > The option you are looking for is CONFIG_IP_PNP_RARP.
> >
> > No. Look on IP_PNP_RARP description.
> > I don't want boot using RARP/ARP but want prepare system where will be
> > possible setup RARP table for boot other system using ARP/RARP/TFTP.
> >
> > kloczek

2004-09-21 12:59:58

by Tigran Aivazian

also, the manpage rarpd(8) says:

OBSOLETES
This rarpd obsoletes kernel rarp daemon present in Linux kernels up to
2.2 which was controlled by the rarp(8) command.

which means the kernel version was removed much earlier.

Kind regards
Tigran

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Tigran Aivazian wrote:

> so, isn't rarpd (userspace daemon) supposed to provide what you want?
> It is installed on most distributions by default I think...
>
> Kind regards
> Tigran
>
> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Tigran Aivazian wrote:
>
> > ah, you want a RARP server, not a client, sorry.
> > I thought you wanted a RARP client.
> >
> > Kind regards
> > Tigran

> > > No. Look on IP_PNP_RARP description.
> > > I don't want boot using RARP/ARP but want prepare system where will be
> > > possible setup RARP table for boot other system using ARP/RARP/TFTP.
> > >
> > > kloczek

2004-09-21 13:17:30

by Tomasz Kłoczko

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Tigran Aivazian wrote:

> also, the manpage rarpd(8) says:
>
> OBSOLETES
> This rarpd obsoletes kernel rarp daemon present in Linux kernels up to
> 2.2 which was controlled by the rarp(8) command.
>
> which means the kernel version was removed much earlier.

# ps aux | grep rarpd
root 4563 0.0 0.0 1456 332 ? Ss 15:02 0:00 /usr/sbin/rarpd
# rarp -a
This kernel does not support RARP.

Maybe I'm wrong but IIRC rarpd as same as arpd was only neccessary for
large RARP table.

kloczek
*Ludzie nie maj? problem?w, tylko sobie sami je stwarzaj?*
Tomasz K?oczko, sys adm @zie.pg.gda.pl|*e-mail: [email protected]*

2004-09-21 17:08:55

by Peter Buckingham

Tomasz K?oczko wrote:
> # rarp -a
> This kernel does not support RARP.

from man rarp:

NOTE
This program is obsolete. From version 2.3, the Linux kernel no
longer contains RARP support. For a replacement RARP
daemon, see ftp://ftp.dementia.org/pub/net-tools

peter

2004-09-21 18:12:51

by Bill Davidsen

Tomasz K?oczko wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Tigran Aivazian wrote:
>
>> also, the manpage rarpd(8) says:
>>
>> OBSOLETES
>> This rarpd obsoletes kernel rarp daemon present in Linux
>> kernels up to
>> 2.2 which was controlled by the rarp(8) command.
>>
>> which means the kernel version was removed much earlier.
>

> # ps aux | grep rarpd
> root 4563 0.0 0.0 1456 332 ? Ss 15:02 0:00
> /usr/sbin/rarpd
> # rarp -a
> This kernel does not support RARP.
>
> Maybe I'm wrong but IIRC rarpd as same as arpd was only neccessary for
> large RARP table.

Is it possible that you are using an old version of the rarp command
which is trying to use the kernel RARP rather than using the rarpd?

--
-bill davidsen ([email protected])

by Tomasz Kłoczko

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Bill Davidsen wrote:
[..]
>> # rarp -a
>> This kernel does not support RARP.
>>
>> Maybe I'm wrong but IIRC rarpd as same as arpd was only neccessary for
>> large RARP table.
>
> Is it possible that you are using an old version of the rarp command which is
> trying to use the kernel RARP rather than using the rarpd?

Yes.
rarp from old net-tools still try to open /proc/net/rarp and depending on
not avalaibability this file prints above message.

Seem it is undocumented in kernel documentation from where can be
downloaded new rarp tool. Anyone know from where it can be downloaded ?

Previously pointed rarpd also cant be compiled without few changes (last
release this package was in 1999).

kloczek
*Ludzie nie maj? problem?w, tylko sobie sami je stwarzaj?*
Tomasz K?oczko, sys adm @zie.pg.gda.pl|*e-mail: [email protected]*

2004-09-21 19:54:42

by David Miller

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 20:28:13 +0200 (CEST)
Tomasz K?oczko <[email protected]> wrote:

> rarp from old net-tools still try to open /proc/net/rarp and depending on
> not avalaibability this file prints above message.

You're not supposed to use the 'rarp' tool to configure
the rarpd daemon, you're supposed to use configuration files
such as /etc/ethers to configure it.