2003-02-09 20:50:29

by Glen Kaukola

Subject: Kernel panic: Attempted to kill the idle task

Hi,

On my Gentoo system, I installed a 2.5.59 kernel, and when I boot it, it tells
me this:

Kernel panic: Attempted to kill the idle task
In idle task - not syncing
Stuck ??
CPU #1 not responding - cannot use it

But then it goes ahead and boots anyway, and I just have one cpu missing from
programs like top. My system is a supermicro P4DC6+ motherboard with two 2.2
Ghz pentium 4 xeons. I've attached the output of dmesg. If you need
anything else from me that would be of help then let me know.

Thanks for your time.

Attachments:
(No filename) (530.00 B)
dmesg.txt (14.65 kB)

by Zwane Mwaikambo

Subject: Re: Kernel panic: Attempted to kill the idle task

On Sun, 9 Feb 2003, Glen Kaukola wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On my Gentoo system, I installed a 2.5.59 kernel, and when I boot it, it tells
> me this:
>
> Kernel panic: Attempted to kill the idle task
> In idle task - not syncing
> Stuck ??
> CPU #1 not responding - cannot use it
>
> But then it goes ahead and boots anyway, and I just have one cpu missing from
> programs like top. My system is a supermicro P4DC6+ motherboard with two 2.2
> Ghz pentium 4 xeons. I've attached the output of dmesg. If you need
> anything else from me that would be of help then let me know.

Please decode that oops on the system after it has booted. or perhaps even
turn on CONFIG_KALLSYMS. Does it boot 2.5.59-vanilla fine? or even with
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.5/snapshots/patch-2.5.59-bk3.bz2?

Zwane
--
function.linuxpower.ca