2006-01-05 22:21:45

by Preece Scott-PREECE

Subject: RE: [linux-pm] [patch] pm: fix runtime powermanagement's /sys interface

We do have multiple system-level low-power modes. I believe today they
differ in turning whole devices on or off, but there are some of those
devices that could be put in reduced-function/lowered-speed modes if we
were ready to use a finer-grained distinction.

This is, of course, in an embedded framework rather than a desktop
framework - we suspend and wakeup automatically, not via user
intervention. Answering a question asked in another piece of mail, we
have roughly a dozen different devices that cause the system to wakeup -
keypad press, touchscreen touch, flip open/close, etc.

And, PCI is totally alien to us...

scott

-----Original Message-----
From: Pavel Machek [mailto:[email protected]]

Bring example hardware that needs more than two states, implement driver
support for that, and then we can talk about adding more than two states
into core code.

Pavel

And from another mail:

Out of curiosity, are there really cases where there is > 1 wakeup
device?

--
Thanks, Sharp!

2006-01-05 22:45:43

by Pavel Machek

On Čt 05-01-06 17:21:38, Preece Scott-PREECE wrote:
> We do have multiple system-level low-power modes. I believe today they
> differ in turning whole devices on or off, but there are some of those
> devices that could be put in reduced-function/lowered-speed modes if we
> were ready to use a finer-grained distinction.

I think we were talking multiple off modes for _single device_. It is
good to know that even cellphones can get away with whole devices
on/off today.
Pavel

--
Thanks, Sharp!

2006-01-06 00:03:25

by Patrick Mochel

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006, Preece Scott-PREECE wrote:

> This is, of course, in an embedded framework rather than a desktop
> framework - we suspend and wakeup automatically, not via user
> intervention. Answering a question asked in another piece of mail, we
> have roughly a dozen different devices that cause the system to wakeup -
> keypad press, touchscreen touch, flip open/close, etc.

Hmm, it would be nice if that comment was in reply to the email in which
it came. At least if it was in the same thread..

Many systems have > 1 _possible_ wakeup devices (keyboard, touchscreen,
lid, etc). You implied that when a system wakes up, there could be > 1
device that actually woke the system up, which is in direct conflict with
what I've always assumed - that when a system wakes up, it is caused by a
single device (and if there were multiple events, like a key press *and* a
mouse movement, it's doesn't really matter)..

Thanks,

Patrick