2003-02-25 00:54:04

by Mike Sullivan

Subject: Scheduling with HyperThreading

What kernel versions will attempt to distribute jobs across physical CPUs on
Xeon SMP configurations.

Mike

Mike Sullivan Director Performance Computing
@lliance Technologies, Voice: (416) 385-3255,
18 Wynford Dr, Suite 407 Fax: (416) 385-1774
Toronto, ON, Canada, M3C-3S2 Toll Free:1-877-216-3199
http://www.alltec.com

2003-02-25 05:35:05

by James Bourne

Subject: Re: Scheduling with HyperThreading

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Mike Sullivan wrote:

> What kernel versions will attempt to distribute jobs across physical CPUs on
> Xeon SMP configurations.

>From what I've heard, Arjans' user space daemon might be the way
things are going, it's at http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/irqbalance/ .

The other way that you might try is the irq load balance patch that Ingo
produced. There is a patch that is from 2.4.20 at
http://www.hardrock.org/kernel/2.4.20/ and it is what I'm using at work on
our current Xeon systems (until I have the chance to test the user space
daemon at least).

Hope that helps.

Regards
James Bourne

--
James Bourne, Supervisor Data Centre Operations
Mount Royal College, Calgary, AB, CA

"There are only 10 types of people in this world: those who
understand binary and those who don't."

2003-02-25 05:49:59

by William Lee Irwin III

On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 10:45:18PM -0700, James Bourne wrote:
> From what I've heard, Arjans' user space daemon might be the way
> things are going, it's at http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/irqbalance/ .
> The other way that you might try is the irq load balance patch that Ingo
> produced. There is a patch that is from 2.4.20 at
> http://www.hardrock.org/kernel/2.4.20/ and it is what I'm using at work on
> our current Xeon systems (until I have the chance to test the user space
> daemon at least).

I think he's referring to the cpu scheduler, not interrupt load
balancing. mingo might have some insight into current patches for
this and current results thereof. I don't really participate in
the scheduler aside from very occasional bugfixing.

-- wli