2003-08-19 15:31:00

by Maciej Soltysiak

Subject: Install new kernel without reboots.

Hi,

I have heard it is possible to change the kernel without reboots.
And I am not talking about UML.

Is it true? I could not find any documents on the web.

Regards,
Maciej

2003-08-19 15:52:47

by John Bradford

Subject: Re: Install new kernel without reboots.

> I have heard it is possible to change the kernel without reboots.
> And I am not talking about UML.
>
> Is it true? I could not find any documents on the web.

Are you referring to kexec?

John.

2003-08-19 15:53:53

by MånsRullgård

Maciej Soltysiak <[email protected]> writes:

> I have heard it is possible to change the kernel without reboots.
> And I am not talking about UML.
>
> Is it true? I could not find any documents on the web.

Maybe your source was referring to modules. Modules can be replaced
while running, but that's it. The topic of replacing a running kernel
completely arises a few times a year. Check the list archive to see
what the problems are.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

by Randy.Dunlap

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 17:30:52 +0200 (CEST) Maciej Soltysiak <[email protected]> wrote:

| Hi,
|
| I have heard it is possible to change the kernel without reboots.
| And I am not talking about UML.
|
| Is it true? I could not find any documents on the web.

Eric Biederman has been working on 'kexec', which is a fast
reboot (Linux boots Linux). See
http://www.xmission.com/~ebiederm/files/kexec/
and
http://developer.osdl.org/%7Eandyp/kexec/
for some 2.5.[67]x versions. I'm trying to update it to
2.6.0-test3 and make it reboot successfully on my dual P4
machine. Currently it hangs during the reboot.

--
~Randy
"Everything is relative."

2003-08-19 16:39:36

by Omar Kilani

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, Maciej Soltysiak wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have heard it is possible to change the kernel without reboots.
> And I am not talking about UML.
>
> Is it true? I could not find any documents on the web.
>
> Regards,
> Maciej
> -

As well as kexec, maybe you want to look at the "two kernel monte".
This is what Scyld Beowulf uses to do single kernel image distribution.
Not sure what it's status is for 2.4, though. I'm only using it on 2.2.

Regards,
Omar Kilani