2003-11-05 20:44:58

by Maciej Soltysiak

Subject: mii broken for 3c59x ?

Hi,

I have two 3com 3c905C-TX NICs in my linux box.
I remember that mii-tool used to work.

Now, with 2.6.0-test9-bk8 it does not.

dns:~# mii-tool
SIOCGMIIPHY on 'eth0' failed: Operation not supported
SIOCGMIIPHY on 'eth1' failed: Operation not supported
no MII interfaces found

What might be going on here? Did we have any recent changes in this,
or maybe my software's outdated, or NICs broken ?
It's Debian Sarge.

mii-tool.c 1.9 2000/04/28 00:56:08 (David Hinds)

Regards,
Maciej

2003-11-06 10:31:40

by Matthias Andree

Subject: Re: mii broken for 3c59x ?

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003, Maciej Soltysiak wrote:

> I have two 3com 3c905C-TX NICs in my linux box.
> I remember that mii-tool used to work.
>
> Now, with 2.6.0-test9-bk8 it does not.
>
> dns:~# mii-tool
> SIOCGMIIPHY on 'eth0' failed: Operation not supported
> SIOCGMIIPHY on 'eth1' failed: Operation not supported
> no MII interfaces found
>
> What might be going on here? Did we have any recent changes in this,
> or maybe my software's outdated, or NICs broken ?

Use mii-diag instead.

--
Matthias Andree

by Jeff Garzik

Maciej Soltysiak wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have two 3com 3c905C-TX NICs in my linux box.
> I remember that mii-tool used to work.
>
> Now, with 2.6.0-test9-bk8 it does not.
>
> dns:~# mii-tool
> SIOCGMIIPHY on 'eth0' failed: Operation not supported
> SIOCGMIIPHY on 'eth1' failed: Operation not supported
> no MII interfaces found
>
> What might be going on here? Did we have any recent changes in this,
> or maybe my software's outdated, or NICs broken ?
> It's Debian Sarge.
>
> mii-tool.c 1.9 2000/04/28 00:56:08 (David Hinds)

Most likely you need to recompile mii-tool, because it's using old ioctls.

Jeff

2003-11-06 15:08:21

by Maciej Soltysiak

> Most likely you need to recompile mii-tool, because it's using old ioctls.
It's from debian packages. I'll get the sources, compile, and see if it
works.

Also, mii-diag works fine. So the above is just a test.

> Jeff
Maciej

2003-11-08 20:32:10

by Joseph Fannin

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 04:08:00PM +0100, Maciej Soltysiak wrote:
> > Most likely you need to recompile mii-tool, because it's using old ioctls.
> It's from debian packages. I'll get the sources, compile, and see if it
> works.

1 year and 268 days old.

--
Joseph Fannin