2003-11-07 23:58:04

by Maciej Soltysiak

Subject: 2.6: value 0x37ffffff truncated to 0x37ffffff

Hi,

during make bzImage on 2.6 I notoriously get this warning:

[exerpt]
LD vmlinux
AS arch/i386/boot/setup.o
arch/i386/boot/setup.S: Assembler messages:
arch/i386/boot/setup.S:165: Warning: value 0x37ffffff truncated to 0x37ffffff
LD arch/i386/boot/setup
OBJCOPY arch/i386/boot/compressed/vmlinux.bin
[eo exerpt]

I have been browsing through the archives and I got the feeling
that this has been already been approached. But I am getting this
since I ever tried 2.5 (about 2.5.53). By 2.6.0-test9-bk11 it is
still there. I have been compiling on 2 different machines. I have
their specs.

Is there anything I could supply to try to resolve this?

Maybe it's no biggy.

Regards,
Maciej

2003-11-08 07:46:36

by Rob Landley

Subject: Re: 2.6: value 0x37ffffff truncated to 0x37ffffff

On Friday 07 November 2003 09:36, Maciej Soltysiak wrote:
> Hi,
>
> during make bzImage on 2.6 I notoriously get this warning:
>
> [exerpt]
> LD vmlinux
> AS arch/i386/boot/setup.o
> arch/i386/boot/setup.S: Assembler messages:
> arch/i386/boot/setup.S:165: Warning: value 0x37ffffff truncated to
> 0x37ffffff LD arch/i386/boot/setup
> OBJCOPY arch/i386/boot/compressed/vmlinux.bin
> [eo exerpt]
>
> I have been browsing through the archives and I got the feeling
> that this has been already been approached. But I am getting this
> since I ever tried 2.5 (about 2.5.53). By 2.6.0-test9-bk11 it is
> still there. I have been compiling on 2 different machines. I have
> their specs.
>
> Is there anything I could supply to try to resolve this?

What version of the tools you're using to compile it, maybe? (Distro, gcc
version, binutils version, etc... And if it's a non-intel system or
cross-compiling or something, that might be good to mention too...)

Rob

2003-11-08 17:08:57

by Helge Hafting

On Sat, Nov 08, 2003 at 01:42:44AM -0600, Rob Landley wrote:
> On Friday 07 November 2003 09:36, Maciej Soltysiak wrote:

> > arch/i386/boot/setup.S:165: Warning: value 0x37ffffff truncated to
> > 0x37ffffff LD arch/i386/boot/setup
>
> What version of the tools you're using to compile it, maybe? (Distro, gcc
> version, binutils version, etc... And if it's a non-intel system or
> cross-compiling or something, that might be good to mention too...)

I have seen this for along time with debian testing, on intel.
I use gcc 3.3.2,
binutils: 2.14.90.0.6-5
I had the impressien that it doesn't matter, because it is
truncated to the same value. I.e. no change, only a strange message?

Helge Hafting

2003-11-12 09:32:11

by Maciej Soltysiak

> I have seen this for along time with debian testing, on intel.
> I use gcc 3.3.2,
> binutils: 2.14.90.0.6-5
Sorry for the delay.
The same here as for gcc and binutils.
I will try compiling with gcc 2.95.4.

Regards,
Maciej

2003-11-12 11:04:54

by Maciej Soltysiak

> > I have seen this for along time with debian testing, on intel.
> > I use gcc 3.3.2,
> > binutils: 2.14.90.0.6-5
> Sorry for the delay.
> The same here as for gcc and binutils.
> I will try compiling with gcc 2.95.4.
I did the recompile on 2.6.0test9-bk16 and haven't seen that message now
both with gcc 2.95 and 3.3.2

It is gone.

> Regards,
> Maciej
Maciej

[... this is schizofrenic :-) ...]

2003-11-12 16:35:57

by Maciej Soltysiak

> I did the recompile on 2.6.0test9-bk16 and haven't seen that message now
> both with gcc 2.95 and 3.3.2
>
> It is gone.
No it is not! I did the wrong thing this morning.
It is still there with gcc-2.95 and gcc-3.3.2 with all 2.6 i've ever used.
Even with 2.6.0-test9-bk17

What other relevant information can I supply?

> > Regards,
> > Maciej
> Maciej
Maciej