2003-06-16 10:06:14

by Armin

Subject: 2.5.71 Frame Buffer Problem

Hi :)
I'm using Albatron Ti4200 graphic card and i can't get
frame buffer working on VGA 788 or 790 , 2.5.71 config file
attached .

--
Wish You Were Here ...

Attachments:
(No filename) (162.00 B)
config.gz (6.06 kB)

by James Simmons

Subject: Re: 2.5.71 Frame Buffer Problem

> Hi :)
> I'm using Albatron Ti4200 graphic card and i can't get
> frame buffer working on VGA 788 or 790 , 2.5.71 config file
> attached .

Ugh. You have the vga16, vesa, and NVIDIA framebuffer drivers enabled.
The NVIDIA driver might not work with your card. The VESA will so you
should only enable that. Also you enabled both VGA console and frmaebuffer
console. Please only enable framebuffer console.

2003-06-17 16:02:12

by Armin

On Tuesday 17 June 2003 01:21, James Simmons wrote:
> Ugh. You have the vga16, vesa, and NVIDIA framebuffer drivers enabled.
> The NVIDIA driver might not work with your card. The VESA will so you
> should only enable that. Also you enabled both VGA console and frmaebuffer
> console. Please only enable framebuffer console.
>

> -

i had compile kernel 2.5.71 with VESA support (disabled nvidia driver ) , on
boot some lines and dotes dancing around the screen ! :)
now i have remove VESA support and VGA Console , there is no blank screen
again but , i have seleted vga 791 ( 1025x768x256 ) and its working on 769 (
640x486x256 ) , i dont know why ! :) i have tested many times , you know
nvidia driver works under 2.4.* .
thanks

config file attached .
--
Wish You Were Here ...

Attachments:
(No filename) (791.00 B)
config.gz (6.10 kB)

by James Simmons

> i had compile kernel 2.5.71 with VESA support (disabled nvidia driver ) , on
> boot some lines and dotes dancing around the screen ! :)

Hum. Like to see those bugs.

> now i have remove VESA support and VGA Console , there is no blank screen
> again but , i have seleted vga 791 ( 1025x768x256 ) and its working on 769 (
> 640x486x256 ) , i dont know why ! :) i have tested many times , you know
> nvidia driver works under 2.4.* .
> thanks

vga=791 will not work for the rivafb driver. That is vesafb specific. You
need to use modedb. See linux/Documentation/fb/modedb.txt.

P.S
I think the modedb code is broken for the NVIDIA driver. I haven't got
around to fixing that.

2003-06-18 08:16:30

by Paweł Gołaszewski

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, James Simmons wrote:
> > i had compile kernel 2.5.71 with VESA support (disabled nvidia driver
> > ) , on boot some lines and dotes dancing around the screen ! :)
> Hum. Like to see those bugs.

I've got similar problems on my matroxfb.

--
pozdr. Pawe? Go?aszewski
---------------------------------

2003-06-18 16:26:11

by James Simmons

> > > i had compile kernel 2.5.71 with VESA support (disabled nvidia driver
> > > ) , on boot some lines and dotes dancing around the screen ! :)
> > Hum. Like to see those bugs.
>
> I've got similar problems on my matroxfb.

Strange. I will see if I can duplicate this bug. Is the bug at boot time
or is it present all the time?

2003-06-18 16:49:40

by Paweł Gołaszewski

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, James Simmons wrote:
> > > Hum. Like to see those bugs.
> > I've got similar problems on my matroxfb.
> Strange. I will see if I can duplicate this bug. Is the bug at boot time
> or is it present all the time?

All the time.

Everything looks fine at the beginning, but running i.e. 'top' causes the
console is unreadable. I can make it readable for a while with simple
switch between consoles.

I don't know if I described it ok - the best would be short *.avi of that,
but I don't have any camera...

--
pozdr. Pawe? Go?aszewski
---------------------------------
worth to see: http://www.againsttcpa.com/
CPU not found - software emulation...

2003-06-18 19:50:51

by Armin

On Wednesday 18 June 2003 13:00, Paweł Gołaszewski wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, James Simmons wrote:
> > > i had compile kernel 2.5.71 with VESA support (disabled nvidia driver
> > > ) , on boot some lines and dotes dancing around the screen ! :)
> >
> > Hum. Like to see those bugs.
>
> I've got similar problems on my matroxfb.

Also i have problem with my SavageIX on my laptop ( pavilion n5310 ) , so
Geforce ti 4200 , MatroxFB and savageIX had problem with frame buffer .

--
Wish You Were Here ...