2003-06-23 13:12:12

by Stephan von Krawczynski

Subject: Broadcom bcm 4401

Hello all,

does anybody know what drivers are available for BCM4401 network cards? Are
they somehow compatible to whatever?

Regards,
Stephan

2003-06-23 13:52:32

by Alan

Subject: Re: Broadcom bcm 4401

On Llu, 2003-06-23 at 14:10, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> does anybody know what drivers are available for BCM4401 network cards? Are
> they somehow compatible to whatever?

There is a broadcom b44 driver in -ac, but it needs a lot more cleaning
up or rewriting before it goes anywhere further

2003-06-23 14:04:57

by Stephan von Krawczynski

On 23 Jun 2003 15:04:29 +0100
Alan Cox <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Llu, 2003-06-23 at 14:10, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > does anybody know what drivers are available for BCM4401 network cards? Are
> > they somehow compatible to whatever?
>
> There is a broadcom b44 driver in -ac, but it needs a lot more cleaning
> up or rewriting before it goes anywhere further

Thanks for your hint, I will try. If you need test input, feel free to ask. The
device seems widespread for built-in network cards, seems like Acer uses it
quite seriously in the Travelmate series, but googling around shows all kinds
of boards using it.

Regards,
Stephan

2003-06-23 14:22:11

by Mitch

Asus supply a Linux driver as part of their
motherboards supporting the chip, but it can also be
downloaded from

ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/lan/broadcom/4401

Mitch

does anybody know what drivers are available for BCM4401 network cards?
Are
they somehow compatible to whatever?

Regards,
Stephan

2003-06-24 14:17:08

by Jeff Garzik

Alan Cox wrote:
> On Llu, 2003-06-23 at 14:10, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
>
>>Hello all,
>>
>>does anybody know what drivers are available for BCM4401 network cards? Are
>>they somehow compatible to whatever?
>

> There is a broadcom b44 driver in -ac, but it needs a lot more cleaning
> up or rewriting before it goes anywhere further

What cleaning needs to be done?

AFAIK, I need only to fix a phy-related bug, and b44 will be working
nicely. (I have test h/w, too)

Jeff

2003-06-24 15:28:53

by Alan

On Maw, 2003-06-24 at 15:31, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> What cleaning needs to be done?
>
> AFAIK, I need only to fix a phy-related bug, and b44 will be working
> nicely. (I have test h/w, too)

The driver I have is very windowsish, I assumne the one you have is not ?

2003-06-24 15:45:40

by Jeff Garzik

Alan Cox wrote:
> On Maw, 2003-06-24 at 15:31, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>
>>What cleaning needs to be done?
>>
>>AFAIK, I need only to fix a phy-related bug, and b44 will be working
>>nicely. (I have test h/w, too)
>

> The driver I have is very windowsish, I assumne the one you have is not ?

Look at drivers/net/b44.c in 2.5 :)

It will appear in 2.4 as soon as it works for me.

Jeff

2003-06-24 15:49:36

by Stephan von Krawczynski

On 24 Jun 2003 16:40:49 +0100
Alan Cox <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Maw, 2003-06-24 at 15:31, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> >
> > What cleaning needs to be done?
> >
> > AFAIK, I need only to fix a phy-related bug, and b44 will be working
> > nicely. (I have test h/w, too)
>
> The driver I have is very windowsish, I assumne the one you have is not ?

I have tested the one from -ac2 now (2.0.0 from 25.03.03) and it works quite ok
on my laptop. I would be pleased to see it in 2.4.22 together with the acpi
stuff, sounds like a nice release for laptops ;-)

I found out SuSE uses a pretty old dated one (I guess it was 1.3.0 from
somewhen mid last year).

Regards,
Stephan

2003-06-24 18:47:08

by Zinx Verituse

On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 03:10:40PM +0200, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> does anybody know what drivers are available for BCM4401 network cards? Are
> they somehow compatible to whatever?
>
> Regards,
> Stephan

There are some third-party GPL'd ones on ASUS's site:
ftp.asus.com.tw:/pub/ASUS/lan/broadcom/4401/

Minor changes were required to make them work with 2.5
last I tried.

--
Zinx Verituse