Subject: kernel 2.6.0-test1 refuses to boot on a PC with AMD Athlon XP 1800+

Hi Folks,

I compiled the latest version of the kernel
2.6.0-test1.

I was able to successfully build the bzImage , but I
am not able to boot using this new kernel.
My Machine just stops after displaying the following

"Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel "

Nothing happens after this message, it just hangs

Please assist me in solving this, I am very keen on to
testing this kernel.

Configuration of my machine :
CPU AMD Athlon 1800+ XP
Motherboard ASUS KT266
RAM 256MB
HDD 20GB
with ATI Rage128 AGP card

Thanks in advance.
Manjunathan Padua Y

Note: Please cc your responses to this email id.

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

2003-07-25 06:45:10

by jurriaan

> Hi Folks,
>
> I compiled the latest version of the kernel
> 2.6.0-test1.
>
> I was able to successfully build the bzImage , but I
> am not able to boot using this new kernel.
> My Machine just stops after displaying the following
>
> "Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel "
>
> Nothing happens after this message, it just hangs
>
> Please assist me in solving this, I am very keen on to
> testing this kernel.
>
> Configuration of my machine :
> CPU AMD Athlon 1800+ XP
> Motherboard ASUS KT266
> RAM 256MB
> HDD 20GB
> with ATI Rage128 AGP card
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Manjunathan Padua Y
>
> Note: Please cc your responses to this email id.

There have been several reports like this. Please double check your
.config, and search in the archives to find out how to enable your console
and your keyboard etc. It is somewhat non-obvious at the moment.

HTH,
Jurriaan

> There have been several reports like this. Please double check your
> .config, and search in the archives to find out how to enable your console
> and your keyboard etc. It is somewhat non-obvious at the moment.

I can swear that I enabled them. Oh!
I will check them.
I saw that the hard seems to work, but no screen update!
Sorry for you time.

> HTH,
> Jurriaan
> -

---
Catalin(ux) BOIE
[email protected]

Subject: Re: kernel 2.6.0-test1 refuses to boot on a PC with AMD Athlon XP 1800+ (another one)

> Hi Folks,
Hi!

> I compiled the latest version of the kernel
> 2.6.0-test1.
>
> I was able to successfully build the bzImage , but I
> am not able to boot using this new kernel.
> My Machine just stops after displaying the following
>
> "Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel "
>
> Nothing happens after this message, it just hangs

Exactly same problem here, two machines. So this is making us 3. :)

Athlon XP 1700+, Epox motherboard, cooler just replaced.
2.4.21 works perfectly.

The other one is an Intel 7505vb2, 2 Xeon ht cpus at 2.4, 1 GB ram.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

> Please assist me in solving this, I am very keen on to
> testing this kernel.
>
> Configuration of my machine :
> CPU AMD Athlon 1800+ XP
> Motherboard ASUS KT266
> RAM 256MB
> HDD 20GB
> with ATI Rage128 AGP card
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Manjunathan Padua Y
>
> Note: Please cc your responses to this email id.

---
Catalin(ux) BOIE

by Ian Hastie

On Friday 25 Jul 2003 08:00, Jurriaan Kalkman wrote:
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > I compiled the latest version of the kernel
> > 2.6.0-test1.
> >
> > I was able to successfully build the bzImage , but I
> > am not able to boot using this new kernel.
> > My Machine just stops after displaying the following
> >
> > "Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel "
> >
> > Nothing happens after this message, it just hangs
>
> There have been several reports like this. Please double check your
> .config, and search in the archives to find out how to enable your console
> and your keyboard etc. It is somewhat non-obvious at the moment.

The time I've had this problem is when I compiled the 2.6.0-test1 code with
Debian's gcc-3.3.1. When I recompiled with gcc-2.95.4, also Debian, it
booted with no problem. Gcc-3.3.1 *has* worked with everything from -ac1 on.
These have all been with the same basic configuration, ie console enabled and
keyboard compiled in. The system also needs to have pci=noacpi in the boot
parameters to get it to work properly.

Just for completeness here is the main hardware of my machine

CPU AMD Athlon XP 2100+, Palomino core IIRC
Motherboard ABit KR7A-133R, which uses the VIA KT266A chipset.
Memory Crucial 512MB DDR PC2100

.config files attached for 2.6.0-test1 and 2.6.0-test1-bk2

--
Ian.

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.30 kB)
config-2.6.0-test1-athlon (31.10 kB)
config-2.6.0-test1-bk2-athlon (31.63 kB)

by Herbert Poetzl

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 10:14:28AM +0300, Catalin BOIE wrote:
> > Hi Folks,

> > I compiled the latest version of the kernel
> > 2.6.0-test1.
> >
> > My Machine just stops after displaying the following
> >
> > "Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel "
> >
> > Nothing happens after this message, it just hangs
>
> Exactly same problem here, two machines. So this is making us 3. :)

I observed such behaviour when the Processor Type didn't
match the actual hardware ... I do not assume that you
configured the wrong Processor, but IMHO it could be
possible that the selected Type doesn't match on those
systems ... therefor I would suggest to try with 386
just for the fun of doing it ...

HTH,
Herbert

> Any ideas?
> Thanks!
> >
> > Please assist me in solving this, I am very keen on to
> > testing this kernel.

> > Exactly same problem here, two machines. So this is making us 3. :)
>
> I observed such behaviour when the Processor Type didn't
> match the actual hardware ... I do not assume that you
> configured the wrong Processor, but IMHO it could be
> possible that the selected Type doesn't match on those
> systems ... therefor I would suggest to try with 386
> just for the fun of doing it ...

Thanks. I will ckeck.

> HTH,
> Herbert
>
> > Any ideas?
> > Thanks!
> > >
> > > Please assist me in solving this, I am very keen on to
> > > testing this kernel.
> -

---
Catalin(ux) BOIE

by Diego Calleja

El Fri, 25 Jul 2003 15:36:42 +0300 (EEST) Catalin BOIE <[email protected]> escribi?:

http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/post-halloween-2.5.txt

There's a section about a particular case where a misconfiguration
will lead you to a black screen.