2003-09-25 08:13:10

by Helge Hafting

Subject: [OT] Re: Horiffic SPAM

Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
>

>>On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 02:11:59PM -0400, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
>>

> Well it seems that fire-walling the SPAM servers is *not* a good idea.
> They are persistant, gang up, and will not give up until they are
> able to deliver the mail! When I firewall them, my network traffic

According to standards they will give up after 5 days or so.

> ends up being continuous SYN floods as every spam-server in the
> country tries to connect. It doesn't do any good to set `ipchains` to
> REJECT instead of DENY. They just keep on banging on the door.

Have you considered teergrubing them instead? That ought to
fix the bandwith problem. And it is not so fun for whoever has
the spam server either - either disrupting some spammers operation
or harassing some server admin into making his box un-abuseable.

Helge Hafting

2003-09-25 12:29:31

by Richard B. Johnson

Subject: Re: [OT] Re: Horiffic SPAM

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Helge Hafting wrote:

> Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> > On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> >

> >>On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 02:11:59PM -0400, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> >>

> > Well it seems that fire-walling the SPAM servers is *not* a good idea.
> > They are persistant, gang up, and will not give up until they are
> > able to deliver the mail! When I firewall them, my network traffic
>
> According to standards they will give up after 5 days or so.
>
> > ends up being continuous SYN floods as every spam-server in the
> > country tries to connect. It doesn't do any good to set `ipchains` to
> > REJECT instead of DENY. They just keep on banging on the door.
> >

> Have you considered teergrubing them instead? That ought to
> fix the bandwith problem. And it is not so fun for whoever has
> the spam server either - either disrupting some spammers operation
> or harassing some server admin into making his box un-abuseable.

I thought it would be easier than that. However, I did write a
program that keeps the connection open forever (until the SPAM-server
hangs up). This slows down the servers. I also thought that I could
make multiple connections to the server and never hang up, depriving
the SPAM-server of resources. However, I can't make a new connection
with the same socket (don't know why), EISCONN, without closing the
previous.
This means that I need a new socket for each connection. I run out
of sockets before the SPAM-servers do.

> Helge Hafting

Richard B. Johnson
Project Engineer
Analogic Corporation
Penguin : Linux version 2.2.15 on an i586 machine (330.14 BogoMips).

2003-09-25 14:59:32

by Valdis Klētnieks

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 10:21:49 +0200, Helge Hafting said:

> According to standards they will give up after 5 days or so.

Methinks you forgot the smiley on here.

Attachments:
(No filename) (226.00 B)

2003-09-25 15:36:36

by Bernt Hansen

Subject: Toshiba Tecra S1 Battery Status

Hi,

Are there any patches available to read the battery status of a Toshiba
Tecra S1 laptop (module PT831C-11UDL)?

I currently have no way to read the battery time left - and when it runs
out the system comes crashing down -- ext3 to the rescue!

The last kernel I tried was 2.6.0-test5.

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA
Bernt
--