2004-01-11 16:26:12

Subject: Re: Synaptics Touchpad workaround for strange behavior after Sync loss (With Patch). (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dmitry Torokhov <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 10:34:54 -0500
To: Gunter K?nigsmann <[email protected]>
Cc: [email protected], Vojtech Pavlik <[email protected]>,
Peter Berg Larsen <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Synaptics Touchpad workaround for strange behavior after Sync
loss (With Patch).

On Sunday 11 January 2004 09:22 am, Vojtech Pavlik wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 01:52:46PM +0100, Peter Berg Larsen wrote:
> > On Sun, 11 Jan 2004, Gunter K?nigsmann wrote:
> > > Hmmm... Now I get an "Reverted to legacy aux mode" after about
> > > every third resync of the driver, and sometimes odd and sometimes
> > > even numbers of sync losses...
> >
> > How often is that? X/minute. I do not expect many "reverted .."
> > messages, but if there is, then I believe the mux ver 1.1 has added
> > some extra error codes that we se as a revert.
>
> Or the BIOS powermanagement is touching the controller in a way the MUX
> mode doesn't like ...

Does booting with i8042.i8042_nomux=1 help? That should keep the MUX in
legacy mode. (well, depending on the kernel version it's either i8042.nomux
or i8042.i8042_nomux, -mm1 and my patches use former, in 2.6.1 vanilla uses
later form).

Dmitry

2004-01-11 16:39:00

by Dmitry Torokhov

On Sunday 11 January 2004 11:27 am, Gunter K?nigsmann wrote:
> Strike! Helps.
>
> No more warnings, no more bad clicks, and a *real* smooth movement.

Great!

Could you tell us what kind of laptop you have (manufacturer/model)
so other people would not have such pain as you had with it?

> Never thought, a touchpad can work *this* well... ;-)
>
> Anyway, I still get those 4 lines on leaving X, but don't know, if it
> is an error of the kernel, anyway, and doesn't do anything bad exept of
> warning me:
>
> atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0x7a on
> isa0060/serio0). atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code
> 0x7a on isa0060/serio0). atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set
> 2, code 0x7a on isa0060/serio0). atkbd.c: Unknown key released
> (translated set 2, code 0x7a on isa0060/serio0).

I believe Vojtech said that it's because X on startup tries to talk to the
keyboard controller directly, nothing to worry about... But I might be
mistaken.

> Yours,
>
> Gunter.

Dmitry

2004-01-11 17:11:50

by Gunter Königsmann

On Today, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:

>From: Dmitry Torokhov <[email protected]>
>Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 11:38:49 -0500
>To: Gunter K?nigsmann <[email protected]>,
> Gunter K?nigsmann <[email protected]>
>Cc: [email protected], Vojtech Pavlik <[email protected]>,
> Peter Berg Larsen <[email protected]>
>Subject: Re: Synaptics Touchpad workaround for strange behavior after Sync
> loss (With Patch). (fwd)
>
>On Sunday 11 January 2004 11:27 am, Gunter K?nigsmann wrote:
>> Strike! Helps.
>>
>> No more warnings, no more bad clicks, and a *real* smooth movement.
>>

>Great!
>
>Could you tell us what kind of laptop you have (manufacturer/model)
>so other people would not have such pain as you had with it?

Siemens/Fujitsu AMILO M 7400 (But the 7400 was somehow hard to find out).

Strike! Hey... Thanks a lot,

Yours,

Gunter.

--
[He] took me into his library and showed me his books, of which he had
a complete set.

2004-01-11 17:21:58

by Gunter Königsmann

Last mail from me for this theme:

The kernel version without Your patches gets sync losses even when I use
the i8042.nomux=1 parameter.

Yours,

Gunter.

--
If today is the first day of the rest of your life, what the hell was yesterday?
---fortune(6)

2004-01-11 18:08:23

by Vojtech Pavlik

On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 05:27:16PM +0100, Gunter K?nigsmann wrote:

> Strike! Helps.
>
> No more warnings, no more bad clicks, and a *real* smooth movement.
>
> Never thought, a touchpad can work *this* well... ;-)
>
> Anyway, I still get those 4 lines on leaving X, but don't know, if it is
> an error of the kernel, anyway, and doesn't do anything bad exept of
> warning me:
>
> atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0x7a on isa0060/serio0).
> atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0x7a on isa0060/serio0).
> atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0x7a on isa0060/serio0).
> atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0x7a on isa0060/serio0).

It's an XFree86 error. It's accessing the keyboard controller directly
behind the kernel's back. It even could cause the controller to fall out
of MUX mode.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs, SuSE CR