Subject: UPDATE [bootup kernel panic 2.6.x]

Subject: GIVEUP [bootup kernel panic 2.6.x] no root partition detected?

2004-01-11 09:22:08

by Gene Heskett

On Sunday 11 January 2004 00:24, Pablo E. Limon Garcia Viesca wrote:

>Thanks for your answer, I use LILO but that root is refering to
>presisely the root partition, in my case it its /dev/hda5...
>It is well configured in lilo, I can enter with kernel 2.4... but
> not with 2.6...
>if you want to know, the exact Kernel error at the begining is:
>
>VFS: Cannot open root device "305" or hda5
>Please append a correct "root=" boot option
>Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on hda5
>
>but I know hda5 is the partition, maybe there has something to be
> with the fact that the root partition is logical, in the extended
> partiton... I mean is not a primary partition... could this be
> true???

Thats an excellent question, unforch I don't know the definitive
answer. But to put that fear to rest, my / partition is on
/dev/hda7, and /root is on /dev/hda5. I would think that if thats a
problem, I would have seen it, and I've been setup that way for the
last 6 months or so.

That really shouldn't make any more difference than putting /usr on a
seperate drive does, which is no diff, at least here.

Sorry Pablo, but I'm fresh out of ideas. But there may be enough
clues here that someone else can chime in.

--
Cheers, Gene
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap,

by Andries Brouwer

On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 10:43:15PM -0600, Pablo E. Limon Garcia Viesca wrote:

> Hello again, after two days of trying to solve my problem I give up now.

Hmm - no information at all?

Let me search the archives.

>> Partition check:
>> hda: [DM6:DD0] [remap +63] [2480/255/63] hda1 hda2 <hda5 hda6 hda7 hda8 hda9 hda10 hda11 hda12>

Aha. Boot, and give boot parameter "hda=remap63".

Andries

> Aha. Boot, and give boot parameter "hda=remap63".

Im sorry, it didnt work...

2004-01-11 21:16:35

by Andries Brouwer

On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 02:26:49PM -0600, Pablo E. Limon Garcia Viesca wrote:

> >Aha. Boot, and give boot parameter "hda=remap63".
>
> Im sorry, it didnt work...

Nevertheless that was the right answer.
(Or at least part of the right answer.)

Since you provide precisely zero information,
it is impossible to provide any further assistance.

2004-01-12 21:36:56

by Steve Kieu