2004-04-09 19:50:46

by Richard B. Johnson

Subject: 2.4.24 poll

Somebody who read about potential problems with poll() asked
me to pass this on. They had problems sending mail from yahoo.
It seems that couldn't disable something that gets interpreted
by vger as HTML.

>From [email protected] Fri Apr 9 15:47:05 2004
To: [email protected]
From: N26825 <[email protected]>
Cc: "Johnson, Richard" <[email protected]>
Subject: Fwd: Linux version 2.4.24 poll

Subject: Linux version 2.4.24 poll

Gentlemen:

In a character device, if I open one with a MINOR number of
1, variable "minor" in the following driver snippet remains
0.

static size_t poll(struct file *fp, struct poll_table_struct
*wait)
{
int minor = MINOR(fp->f_dentry->d_inode->i_rdev);

If this is a feature, and not a bug, how am I supposed to
obtain
the minor number or do I have to use a block device?

Thanks,

Gloria