2003-05-07 11:42:08

by Steve Spencer

Subject: Tyan Tiger MP + 2.4.20

Hey folks,

Has anyone else experiencesd stability issues with 2.4.20 and Tyan Tiger MP mobo/Athlon MP processors?

I think it may be an power meneanagement issue since onreboot doesn't work properly; the machine powersscreens go into power save mode but the box doesnt come back up ...

Any thoughts?

Cheers
asteve.

2003-05-07 15:14:12

by Heinz Ulrich Stille

Subject: Re: Tyan Tiger MP + 2.4.20

On Wednesday 07 May 2003 13:42, Steve Spencer wrote:
> Has anyone else experiencesd stability issues with 2.4.20 and Tyan Tiger MP
> mobo/Athlon MP processors?

I've had only two problems with my Tiger MP and 2.4.20:
- Set "CONFIG_AMD_PM768" to "n", with "y" the system will freeze somewhere in
the boot process;
- if you use Athlon XPs, make sure the L5 bridge is really securely connected.
Oh, and don't use too much unregistered ram...

Apart from that I've never had any issues. As the first touches power
management, it might be relevant.

Are your problems with rebooting only? Do you have ACPI enabled? I've ACPI
enabled and APM disabled (shouldn't work on SMP anyway).

MfG, Ulrich

--
Heinz Ulrich Stille / Tel.: +49-541-9400463 / Fax: +49-541-9400450
design_d gmbh / Lortzingstr. 2 / 49074 Osnabr?ck / http://www.design-d.de

2003-05-07 15:56:47

by Ken Witherow

On Wed, 7 May 2003, Steve Spencer wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> Has anyone else experienced stability issues with 2.4.20 and Tyan Tiger
> MP mobo/Athlon MP processors?
> I think it may be a power management issue since reboot doesn't work
> properly; the machine screens go into power save mode but the box doesnt
> come back up ...
>
> Any thoughts?

I have a 2460 wtih dual 1800 MPs. When I first got it, I had all kinds of
weird stability issues (random hangs, spontaneous reboots, etc) which
turned out to be a power supply that just wasn't beefy enough. Each of
the processors can eat up to 66 watts, so by the time you throw in drives,
AGP cards, etc, you're drawing a lot of power. I upgraded to a top quality
550 watt power supply and the stability issues cleared up.

As for hanging after rebooting, it appears to be related to ACPI in 2.4
not being complete, as 2.5 works as expected.

--
Ken Witherow <phantoml AT rochester.rr.com>
ICQ: 21840670 AIM: phantomlordken

2003-05-07 20:14:52

by Chris

I disabled APM and ACPI long ago with my Tiger MPX with dual MP
1600's. Ever since I've had no issues at all with the box. I had
random issues at boot mostly with ACPI enabled, since I had no need
for either APM or ACPI I canned them both and things are just peachy
now.

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 12:07:02PM -0400, Ken Witherow wrote:
> On Wed, 7 May 2003, Steve Spencer wrote:
>
> > Hey folks,
> >
> > Has anyone else experienced stability issues with 2.4.20 and Tyan Tiger
> > MP mobo/Athlon MP processors?
> > I think it may be a power management issue since reboot doesn't work
> > properly; the machine screens go into power save mode but the box doesnt
> > come back up ...
> >
> > Any thoughts?
>
> I have a 2460 wtih dual 1800 MPs. When I first got it, I had all kinds of
> weird stability issues (random hangs, spontaneous reboots, etc) which
> turned out to be a power supply that just wasn't beefy enough. Each of
> the processors can eat up to 66 watts, so by the time you throw in drives,
> AGP cards, etc, you're drawing a lot of power. I upgraded to a top quality
> 550 watt power supply and the stability issues cleared up.
>
> As for hanging after rebooting, it appears to be related to ACPI in 2.4
> not being complete, as 2.5 works as expected.
>
> --
> Ken Witherow <phantoml AT rochester.rr.com>
> ICQ: 21840670 AIM: phantomlordken
> http://www.krwtech.com/ken
>
> -

__ ___ __
/ //_(_)__ _http://www.kingsqueak.org _/ /__
/ ,< / / _ \/ _ `(_-</ _ `/ // / -_) _ `/ '_/
/_/|_/_/_//_/\_, /___/\_, /\_,_/\__/\_,_/_/\_\
/___/ /_/GPG KEY finger
@kingsqueak.org

2003-05-07 20:42:11

by Ken Witherow

On Wed, 7 May 2003, Chris wrote:

> I disabled APM and ACPI long ago with my Tiger MPX with dual MP
> 1600's. Ever since I've had no issues at all with the box. I had
> random issues at boot mostly with ACPI enabled, since I had no need
> for either APM or ACPI I canned them both and things are just peachy
> now.

I've got ACPI enabled as the times I tried without it (circa 2.4.16-18),
I'd get a solid freeze on boot. Haven't tried disabling ACPI since moving
to 2.5 a couple months ago since the box runs flawlessly.