Subject: 2.6.2-rc2 Interactivity problems with SMP + HT

Hello!

First, thank you very much for the effort you put for Linux!

I have a Intel motherboard with SATA (2 Maxtor disks).
CPUs: 2 x 2.4GHz PIV HT = 4 processors (2 virtual)
1 GB RAM.

Load: postgresql and apache. Very low load (3-4 clients).

RAID: Yes, soft RAID1 between the 2 disks.

I have times when the console freeze for 3-4 seconds!
2.6.0-test11 had the same problem (maybe longer times).
2.6.1-rc2 worked good in this respect but crashed after 2 days. :(
2.6.2-rc2 is back with the delay.

Do you know why this can happen?

Thank you very much!

---
Catalin(ux) BOIE

by Nick Piggin

Subject: Re: 2.6.2-rc2 Interactivity problems with SMP + HT

Catalin BOIE wrote:

>Hello!
>
>First, thank you very much for the effort you put for Linux!
>
>I have a Intel motherboard with SATA (2 Maxtor disks).
>CPUs: 2 x 2.4GHz PIV HT = 4 processors (2 virtual)
>1 GB RAM.
>
>Load: postgresql and apache. Very low load (3-4 clients).
>
>RAID: Yes, soft RAID1 between the 2 disks.
>
>I have times when the console freeze for 3-4 seconds!
>2.6.0-test11 had the same problem (maybe longer times).
>2.6.1-rc2 worked good in this respect but crashed after 2 days. :(
>2.6.2-rc2 is back with the delay.
>
>Do you know why this can happen?

There haven't been many scheduler changes there recently so
maybe its something else.

But you could try the latest -mm kernels. They have some
Hyperthreading work in them (you need to enable CONFIG_SCHED_SMT).

> >Do you know why this can happen?
> >

> There haven't been many scheduler changes there recently so
> maybe its something else.
>
> But you could try the latest -mm kernels. They have some
> Hyperthreading work in them (you need to enable CONFIG_SCHED_SMT).

It's a production server and now, after the crash I'm a little worried
about side effects. I have to wait some time till I play with it again.

Thank you very much, Nick.

> -

---
Catalin(ux) BOIE

by Robert M. Hyatt

It might be some IDE disk I/O that results from flushing buffers or
whatever. I don't see this on my SCSI boxes, but I have seen an IDE
box get sluggish at times due to I/O.

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Nick Piggin
wrote:

> Catalin BOIE wrote:
>
> >Hello!
> >
> >First, thank you very much for the effort you put for Linux!
> >
> >I have a Intel motherboard with SATA (2 Maxtor disks).
> >CPUs: 2 x 2.4GHz PIV HT = 4 processors (2 virtual)
> >1 GB RAM.
> >
> >Load: postgresql and apache. Very low load (3-4 clients).
> >
> >RAID: Yes, soft RAID1 between the 2 disks.
> >
> >I have times when the console freeze for 3-4 seconds!
> >2.6.0-test11 had the same problem (maybe longer times).
> >2.6.1-rc2 worked good in this respect but crashed after 2 days. :(
> >2.6.2-rc2 is back with the delay.
> >
> >Do you know why this can happen?
> >

> There haven't been many scheduler changes there recently so
> maybe its something else.
>
> But you could try the latest -mm kernels. They have some
> Hyperthreading work in them (you need to enable CONFIG_SCHED_SMT).
>
> -
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-smp" in

Robert M. Hyatt, Ph.D. Computer and Information Sciences
[email protected] University of Alabama at Birmingham
(205) 934-2213 136A Campbell Hall
(205) 934-5473 FAX Birmingham, AL 35294-1170

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Robert M. Hyatt wrote:

> It might be some IDE disk I/O that results from flushing buffers or
> whatever. I don't see this on my SCSI boxes, but I have seen an IDE
> box get sluggish at times due to I/O.

It is possible.
vmstat shows a lot of writes when this happen.
Seems that even reads hangs.
I remember tat I was in pine and I tried to save a small file (under 1k)
and it took 5-7 seconds to do it.

> On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Nick Piggin
> wrote:
>

> > Catalin BOIE wrote:
> >
> > >Hello!
> > >
> > >First, thank you very much for the effort you put for Linux!
> > >
> > >I have a Intel motherboard with SATA (2 Maxtor disks).
> > >CPUs: 2 x 2.4GHz PIV HT = 4 processors (2 virtual)
> > >1 GB RAM.
> > >
> > >Load: postgresql and apache. Very low load (3-4 clients).
> > >
> > >RAID: Yes, soft RAID1 between the 2 disks.
> > >
> > >I have times when the console freeze for 3-4 seconds!
> > >2.6.0-test11 had the same problem (maybe longer times).
> > >2.6.1-rc2 worked good in this respect but crashed after 2 days. :(
> > >2.6.2-rc2 is back with the delay.
> > >
> > >Do you know why this can happen?
> > >

> > There haven't been many scheduler changes there recently so
> > maybe its something else.
> >
> > But you could try the latest -mm kernels. They have some
> > Hyperthreading work in them (you need to enable CONFIG_SCHED_SMT).
> >
> > -
> > To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-smp" in
> > the body of a message to [email protected]

> Robert M. Hyatt, Ph.D. Computer and Information Sciences
> [email protected] University of Alabama at Birmingham
> (205) 934-2213 136A Campbell Hall
> (205) 934-5473 FAX Birmingham, AL 35294-1170

---
Catalin(ux) BOIE

by Gene Heskett

On Friday 30 January 2004 02:25, Catalin BOIE wrote:
>On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Robert M. Hyatt wrote:
>> It might be some IDE disk I/O that results from flushing buffers
>> or whatever. I don't see this on my SCSI boxes, but I have seen
>> an IDE box get sluggish at times due to I/O.
>
>It is possible.
>vmstat shows a lot of writes when this happen.
>Seems that even reads hangs.
>I remember tat I was in pine and I tried to save a small file (under
> 1k) and it took 5-7 seconds to do it.

I'm having similar problems with kmail on the later kernels. Sometimes
it works just fine, and in the middle of typing a nessage it can get
laggy as hell, cursor motions with the arrow keys are down to 1 space
a second, and gkrellm is saying the user apps are at 100% cpu.
Screen redraws for a page up or page down might take 3 or 4 seconds.
Or it can get over it. (sometimes)

>> On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Nick Piggin
>>
>> wrote:

>> > There haven't been many scheduler changes there recently so
>> > maybe its something else.
>> >
>> > But you could try the latest -mm kernels. They have some
>> > Hyperthreading work in them (you need to enable
>> > CONFIG_SCHED_SMT).
>> >
>> > -
>> > To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe
>> > linux-smp" in the body of a message to [email protected]
>> > More majordomo info at
>> > http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
>>
>> --
>> Robert M. Hyatt, Ph.D. Computer and Information Sciences
>> [email protected] University of Alabama at
>> Birmingham (205) 934-2213 136A Campbell Hall
>> (205) 934-5473 FAX Birmingham, AL 35294-1170
>
>---
>Catalin(ux) BOIE
>[email protected]
>-
>To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe
> linux-kernel" in the body of a message to [email protected]

Cheers, Gene
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap,
ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are:

by Andrew Morton

Gene Heskett <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Friday 30 January 2004 02:25, Catalin BOIE wrote:
> >On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Robert M. Hyatt wrote:
> >> It might be some IDE disk I/O that results from flushing buffers
> >> or whatever. I don't see this on my SCSI boxes, but I have seen
> >> an IDE box get sluggish at times due to I/O.
> >
> >It is possible.
> >vmstat shows a lot of writes when this happen.
> >Seems that even reads hangs.
> >I remember tat I was in pine and I tried to save a small file (under
> > 1k) and it took 5-7 seconds to do it.
> >
> I'm having similar problems with kmail on the later kernels.

There's a problem with reiserfs and kmail. If you're using reiserfs, be
sure to have the latest kmail installed, or mount the filesytems with
`nolargeio=1'.