2004-01-30 05:49:09

by Rui Saraiva

Subject: Where is sparse?

Hello,

Where is the sparse source? (AKA TSCT - The Silly C Tokenizer) There was
the BK repository at bk://kernel.bkbits.net/torvalds/sparse, now
unavailable and the ml [email protected] seems dead.
There is other BK rep at bk://linux-dj.bkbits.net/sparse but it is an old
version. And I can't find it on google... Any pointers? TIA.

PS: This info should also be somewhere in the kernel docs...

Regards,
Rui Saraiva

2004-01-30 06:19:05

by Linus Torvalds

Subject: Re: Where is sparse?

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, Rui Saraiva wrote:

> Where is the sparse source? (AKA TSCT - The Silly C Tokenizer) There was
> the BK repository at bk://kernel.bkbits.net/torvalds/sparse, now
> unavailable and the ml [email protected] seems dead.

The old repostitory got killed when bkbits.net went away. There's a new
repo at

http://sparse.bkbits.net/sparse

but I don't know why the mailing list would have gone.

> There is other BK rep at bk://linux-dj.bkbits.net/sparse but it is an old
> version.

It may well be up-to-date: without anybody interested enough to do a
back-end, I had very little incentive to improve the front-end further.
Right now all the warning messages for the kernel should be largely valid,
but the networking code re-uses some structures for both user pointers and
kernel pointers (which Davem agreed was bad and fixable, but wasn't done
in time for 2.6.x), so we can't get rid of the user pointer accesses
there..

Linus

2004-01-30 11:52:43

by Dave Jones

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 10:18:47PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> > Where is the sparse source? (AKA TSCT - The Silly C Tokenizer) There was
> > the BK repository at bk://kernel.bkbits.net/torvalds/sparse, now
> > unavailable and the ml [email protected] seems dead.
>
> The old repostitory got killed when bkbits.net went away. There's a new
> repo at
>
> http://sparse.bkbits.net/sparse

I mailed you about this a while ago, when it disappeared, but never got
an answer.. anyway, I've repointed the daily snapshots to pull from here.
as always, they're at http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/projects/bitkeeper/sparse/

> > There is other BK rep at bk://linux-dj.bkbits.net/sparse but it is an old
> > version.
>
> It may well be up-to-date: without anybody interested enough to do a
> back-end

Maybe slightly behind, I forget.. it was a throw-away tree I used for 1-2
small changes for Jeff to pull iirc.

Dave