2005-01-10 12:46:57

by Roseline Bonchamp

Subject: USB problem with a mass storage device on 2.6.10

Hello,

I have a PQI 1GB Intelligent Stick, which does'nt work most of the
time on 2.6.10 (sometime when I plug/unplug it does work, but most of
the time it does'nt)

When it does not work, I see this when I plug it:

kernel: usb 1-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
kernel: usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 4
kernel: usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 5

When it does work, I only see the first one (high speed), and then USB
mass storage stuff.

On kernel 2.6.9 it does work, but seems to produce a kernel crash (log
attached) (but I still can use it and mount it)

I tried on a knoppix 3.6 (2.6.7, not vanilla) kernel, and it seems to work too.

Even with 2.6.10 I have no problem with some other USB mass storage devices.

I already did a post about this, but the subject of the mail was wrong
(sorry), and it was not mailed to linux-usb:
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0501.1/0371.html

by Roseline Bonchamp

Subject: Re: USB problem with a mass storage device on 2.6.10

I forgot the attachments.

I tried this on 5 different PCs, here is lspci from one of them.
The other log is from kernel 2.6.9 wich seems to "crash", but allow me
to use my mass storage device perfectly (2.6.10 does'nt)

Roseline

Attachments:
(No filename) (230.00 B)
kernel_crash.2.6.9.log (8.35 kB)
lspci.log (1.75 kB)

by Stephen J. Gowdy

Subject: Re: [Linux-usb-users] USB problem with a mass storage device on 2.6.10

What is in /proc/bus/usb/devices when it doesn't work (and when it works)?
What command fails?

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005, Roseline Bonchamp wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a PQI 1GB Intelligent Stick, which does'nt work most of the
> time on 2.6.10 (sometime when I plug/unplug it does work, but most of
> the time it does'nt)
>
> When it does not work, I see this when I plug it:
>
> kernel: usb 1-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
> kernel: usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 4
> kernel: usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 5
>
> When it does work, I only see the first one (high speed), and then USB
> mass storage stuff.
>
> On kernel 2.6.9 it does work, but seems to produce a kernel crash (log
> attached) (but I still can use it and mount it)
>
> I tried on a knoppix 3.6 (2.6.7, not vanilla) kernel, and it seems to work too.
>
> Even with 2.6.10 I have no problem with some other USB mass storage devices.
>
> I already did a post about this, but the subject of the mail was wrong
> (sorry), and it was not mailed to linux-usb:
> http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0501.1/0371.html
>
> Regards,

/------------------------------------+-------------------------\
|Stephen J. Gowdy | SLAC, MailStop 34, |
|http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~gowdy/ | 2575 Sand Hill Road, |
|http://calendar.yahoo.com/gowdy | Menlo Park CA 94025, USA |
|EMail: [email protected] | Tel: +1 650 926 3144 |
\------------------------------------+-------------------------/

2005-01-10 18:31:19

by Roseline Bonchamp

> What is in /proc/bus/usb/devices when it doesn't work (and when it works)?
> What command fails?

When it does'nt work, I see my 2 UHCI controllers and my EHCI
controller (driver=Hub)

When it does work, I see the same, plus:

T: Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#= 15 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
D: Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=0ea0 ProdID=2168 Rev= 2.00
S: Manufacturer=USB
S: Product=Flash Disk
S: SerialNumber=106C1141B1C3762C
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=200mA
I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=08(stor.) Sub=06 Prot=50 Driver=usb-storage
E: Ad=81(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=02(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=83(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 2 Ivl=125us

What fails is that I don't see anything related to USB mass storage in
logs, and so cannot access the device through de SCSI interface
(/dev/sda...)

Also I've just fount out that it seems that "echo y >
/sys/module/usbcore/parameters/old_scheme_first" makes it work!