2004-06-18 02:33:40

by 4Front Technologies

Subject: Re: Stop the linux kernel madness - SOLVED!

Hi Folks,

Here's the solution we have found:

With the latest SuSE 2.6.5-7.75 kernel sources:

The problem is that /lib/modules/2.6.5-7.75/build points to
/usr/src/linux-2.6.5-7.75-obj which is some kind of wierd directory
that has:

. .. bigsmp debug default out smp

So simply removing this symlink and putting back a link to
/usr/src/linux-2.6.5-7.75 fixes our problems.

So the question is who is at fault here?. We used KBUILD to
build our modules and obviously the build link in /lib/modules/<kernel>/build
isn't pointing to the correct source tree.

best regards
Dev Mazumdar
4Front Technologies
4035 Lafayette Place, Unit F, Culver City, CA 90232, USA
Tel: 310 202 8530 Fax: 310 202 0496 URL: http://www.opensound.com

by Duncan Sands

> Here's the solution we have found:
>
> With the latest SuSE 2.6.5-7.75 kernel sources:
>
> The problem is that /lib/modules/2.6.5-7.75/build points to
> /usr/src/linux-2.6.5-7.75-obj which is some kind of wierd directory
> that has:
>
> . .. bigsmp debug default out smp
>
> So simply removing this symlink and putting back a link to
> /usr/src/linux-2.6.5-7.75 fixes our problems.
>
> So the question is who is at fault here?. We used KBUILD to
> build our modules and obviously the build link in /lib/modules/<kernel>/build
> isn't pointing to the correct source tree.

I don't know if this is the solution to your problem, but /usr/src/linux/README.SUSE
says

(3) Compile the module(s) by changing into the module source directory
and typing ``make -C /usr/src/linux
O=/usr/src/linux-obj/$ARCH/$FLAVOR M=`pwd` modules''.
Substitute $ARCH and $FLAVOR with the architecture and flavor
for which to build the module(s).

I hope this helps,

Duncan.

2004-06-18 11:16:54