2005-02-26 07:54:23

by P.Manohar

Subject: calling call_usermodehelper from interrupt context

hai all,
Is it possible to call call_usermodehelper from interrupt context.
I want to call a user program from the keyboard driver. When am calling,
it is hanging, and giving the error that
<0> Kernel panic : Aiee, killing interrupt handler
In interrupt handler -- not syncing.
I am using Redhat linux 9.

Can anybody please help me.

Thanks&Regards,

P.Manohar,

2005-02-26 08:18:44

by Andrew Morton

Payasam Manohar <[email protected]> wrote:

> Is it possible to call call_usermodehelper from interrupt context.

No. You'll need to run schedule_work() and then run call_usermodehelper()
from within the work function.

2005-02-26 08:26:42

by P.Manohar

hai Mr.Andrew,
Thanks for ur help.
If u find some more info regarding this please send me. I want to call
user program (let it be hello world program ) from keyboard driver,

>You'll need to run schedule_work() and then run call_usermodehelper()
Is it the right way to do it.

Thanks&Regards,

P.Manohar,
Sat, 26 Feb 2005, Andrew Morton wrote:

> Payasam Manohar <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> Is it possible to call call_usermodehelper from interrupt context.
>
> No. You'll need to run schedule_work() and then run call_usermodehelper()
> from within the work function.

2005-02-27 22:52:35

by linux-os (Dick Johnson)

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005, Payasam Manohar wrote:

> hai all,
> Is it possible to call call_usermodehelper from interrupt context.

Of course not! I've seen this message before. Either it's a joke
or you have no clue about what interrupts are.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.10 on an i686 machine (5537.79 BogoMips).
98.36% of all statistics are fiction.