2004-10-12 19:13:05

by Tom Dickson

Subject: Who is working on the Marvell SATA Chipset?

2004-10-12 19:43:18

by Jeff Garzik

Subject: Re: Who is working on the Marvell SATA Chipset?

Tom Dickson wrote:

> Who is in charge of the "in progress" driver for the Marvell 88SX5040?

I have a skeleton driver locally, need to get on to finishing it.

Jeff

2004-10-12 20:26:46

by Andy Warner

Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Tom Dickson wrote:
> >
> > Who is in charge of the "in progress" driver for the Marvell 88SX5040?
>
> I have a skeleton driver locally, need to get on to finishing it.

Marvell also have drivers for 2.4 and 2.6, but they are under NDA
etc etc, and ignore libata (they also pre-date libata), so if
you have hardware that you _must_ get working; they might be
a useful stopgap.

I'll repeat my eagerness to test anything for the 88SX50xx or 88SX60xx,
regardless of how primitive it is. My benchmarking with the Marvell
driver shows the throughput to be excellent.

Andy Warner Voice: (612) 801-8549 Fax: (208) 575-5634

2004-10-12 20:38:47

by Joel Jaeggli

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Andy Warner wrote:

> Jeff Garzik wrote:
>> Tom Dickson wrote:
>>>
>>> Who is in charge of the "in progress" driver for the Marvell 88SX5040?
>>
>> I have a skeleton driver locally, need to get on to finishing it.
>
> Marvell also have drivers for 2.4 and 2.6, but they are under NDA
> etc etc, and ignore libata (they also pre-date libata), so if
> you have hardware that you _must_ get working; they might be
> a useful stopgap.
>
> I'll repeat my eagerness to test anything for the 88SX50xx or 88SX60xx,
> regardless of how primitive it is. My benchmarking with the Marvell
> driver shows the throughput to be excellent.

I would love to be buying the 8 port pci-x marvells for nas boxes where
we're doing JBOD or software raid.

http://www.supermicro.com/products/accessories/addon/DAC-SATA-MV8.cfm

which is running around $110 at this point.

Joel Jaeggli Unix Consulting [email protected]
GPG Key Fingerprint: 5C6E 0104 BAF0 40B0 5BD3 C38B F000 35AB B67F 56B2