2004-11-10 19:37:41

by Alan

Subject: Wanted: small number of crazy highpoint IDE (HPT366-372N/374) controller owners

I've been debugging and chasing down various HPT IDE problems. I've done
some cleanups, fixed the PLL tune and little bits like that. These are
the kind of changes that turn your disk into a random number generator
if they go wrong but OTOH the HPT372N crashes should be fixed.

Now it needs some testers...

Alan

2004-11-10 19:58:10

by Norbert van Nobelen

I can see volunteers line up already with this kind of incentive (-:

Sorry, already have a not so trustable SATA controller, a possibly broken IDE
disk in a software raid5 array, and just survived another SCSI disk crash.
This one will pass me by by lack of the mentioned controller. If someone
sends me one, I don't have problem with testing it, machines and disks
enough.

> I've been debugging and chasing down various HPT IDE problems. I've done
> some cleanups, fixed the PLL tune and little bits like that. These are
> the kind of changes that turn your disk into a random number generator
> if they go wrong but OTOH the HPT372N crashes should be fixed.
>
> Now it needs some testers...
>
> Alan
>
> -

by Cal Peake

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Alan Cox wrote:

> I've been debugging and chasing down various HPT IDE problems. I've done
> some cleanups, fixed the PLL tune and little bits like that. These are
> the kind of changes that turn your disk into a random number generator
> if they go wrong but OTOH the HPT372N crashes should be fixed.
>
> Now it needs some testers...

Hi Alan,

I've got a HPT371 somewhere (have to dig it out). If that fits the bill
lemme know and I'll hook up some extra drives to it and go to town with
your changes.

-- Cal

2004-11-11 18:32:59

by mark gross

On Wednesday 10 November 2004 10:30, Alan Cox wrote:
> I've been debugging and chasing down various HPT IDE problems. I've done
> some cleanups, fixed the PLL tune and little bits like that. These are
> the kind of changes that turn your disk into a random number generator
> if they go wrong but OTOH the HPT372N crashes should be fixed.
>
> Now it needs some testers...
>
> Alan

I have a retiered BP6 at home I could try to bring up this weekend. The only
problem is that I haven't been able to boot a 2.6 kernel from the HPT 366
attached drive it as the device id's seem to have been shuffeled about on me.
hdd goes to something else or so i thought before I gave up on the thing.

I could put 2 IDE's in it one on the 366 and one on the chipset IDE
controllers to get the thing to boot up.

just let me know.

--mgross