2004-11-19 09:19:43

by linux dude

Subject: 2.6.9

Linux Gurus,

I am new to linux kernel, trying to work on my
academic
project.

I have one basic question:

I downloaded latest 2.6.9 kernel. Compiled it and
did make modules, make modules_install. Then I
upgraded the grub. Everything was OK till:

When I tried to reboot with 2.6.9 kernel, it was
trying
load 2.6.4-52/.../reiserfs.ko and failing.

My question is I already did make odlconfig;make;make
modules;make modules_install; updated grub,image,
system.map. Is there any thing missing because of
which
it is trying to load module from old
/lib/modules/2.6.4-52/....
And Why it is not picking up from 2.6.9/.../ .

Any help would be really appriciated.

Please mail me at [email protected] as I did't
subscribe.

Regards
Dude_linux.

http://my.yahoo.com

2004-11-19 16:13:48

by Zwane Mwaikambo

Subject: Re: 2.6.9

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, linux dude wrote:

> My question is I already did make odlconfig;make;make
> modules;make modules_install; updated grub,image,
> system.map. Is there any thing missing because of
> which
> it is trying to load module from old
> /lib/modules/2.6.4-52/....
> And Why it is not picking up from 2.6.9/.../ .
>
> Any help would be really appriciated.

Hey Dude,
What does `cat /proc/version` say?

Zwane

2004-11-19 16:48:00

by Jan Engelhardt

>> My question is I already did make odlconfig;make;make
>> modules;make modules_install; updated grub,image,
>> system.map. Is there any thing missing because of

You first update the image, then the system.map and then the bootloader.

>> which
>> it is trying to load module from old
>> /lib/modules/2.6.4-52/....
>> And Why it is not picking up from 2.6.9/.../ .

Don't LILO / GRUB show you which kernel you are booting? Did not you give them
some meaningful name?

Jan Engelhardt
--
Gesellschaft für Wissenschaftliche Datenverarbeitung
Am Fassberg, 37077 Göttingen, http://www.gwdg.de

2004-11-19 22:41:13

by Nigel Cunningham

Hi.

On Sat, 2004-11-20 at 03:45, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> >> My question is I already did make odlconfig;make;make
> >> modules;make modules_install; updated grub,image,
> >> system.map. Is there any thing missing because of
>
> You first update the image, then the system.map and then the bootloader.
>
> >> which
> >> it is trying to load module from old
> >> /lib/modules/2.6.4-52/....
> >> And Why it is not picking up from 2.6.9/.../ .

Are you sure you copied the new bzImage to the right place?

Regards,

Nigel
--
Nigel Cunningham
Pastoral Worker

You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ
died for the ungodly. -- Romans 5:6