2005-02-28 12:40:00

by Thomas Voegtle

Subject: Shutdown after 6 years 2 months 25 days: 2.0.36 declared stable!

Hi,

Yesterday evening me an my friend had to shut down our most beloved
server. It had run for 6 years, 2 months and 25 days non stop. Nothing
could harm this little mailserver: y2k, electricity problems in the house
and no hacker found it.

We had to shut it down because of renovation of the room.

486 DX 33Mhz
8 MB RAM
32 MB SWAP
340 MB Connor Harddisk

Kernel 2.0.36
SuSE 5.3

4 uptime wrap arounds.

Thanks a lot for this rock solid piece of software!

Thomas and Bastian

--
Thomas V?gtle email: [email protected]
----- http://www.voegtle-clan.de/thomas ------

2005-02-28 14:53:33

by Fao, Sean

Thomas Voegtle wrote:

>486 DX 33Mhz

I don't know if you can still find them, but the Evergreen upgrade kits
worked pretty well on my old 486's
(http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/2640). It brought the processor up
to 133 MHz. Not too shabby for an old PC that would be collecting dust
in most peoples houses. I now use it only as a firewall/router for my
home network; but I'll take whatever speed increases I can get since I
commonly compile updates directly on that system. I needed iptables, so
I'm running a 2.4.2? kernel. The only time this system goes down is
when the power goes out (no UPS yet). I think the longest I've made it
is about two months. I'm quite certain I could have uptimes as high as
a year or more if I had a battery.

Talk to you later,

--
Sean E. Fao