2005-10-28 22:24:29

by Tim Schmielau

Subject: ominous git commit

I have to admit I don't understand much about git, but this monster
merge somehow worries me:

http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=210cc679faf0e1cabda9fc5d1279644f5e52aecb

It's commit message says: 'Auto-update from upstream', and it indeed seems
to contain changes already made to the upstream tree. Would someone please
explain to me why it shows up in Linus' tree?

Thanks,
Tim

2005-10-29 16:24:35

by Kyle McMartin

Subject: Re: ominous git commit

On Sat, Oct 29, 2005 at 12:24:27AM +0200, Tim Schmielau wrote:
> It's commit message says: 'Auto-update from upstream', and it indeed seems
> to contain changes already made to the upstream tree. Would someone please
> explain to me why it shows up in Linus' tree?

If you look around the shortlog, you'll see I'm not the only person[1] with
these messages. I suspect mine was large because I pulled my linus branch
into my parisc branch, rather than vice versa. Linus explained to me that
these merge markers get created whenever a non-trivial merge occurs.
Not something to worry about, I believe.

Cheers,
Kyle

1: http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=6fbfddcb52d8d9fa2cd209f5ac2a1c87497d55b5