2006-01-29 11:08:04

by Jan Engelhardt

Subject: reinitializing quota on xfs

Hi,

for some strange reason, `quota -v` showed an impossible number in the
inodes (files) field, something that resembled 2^64 - n, n={1..100}. I do
not know how it happened, but I wanted to reinitialize the quota. Though,
how does one do that with XFS? (Since it's different from the vfsv0 quota
architecture.)

By chance, I could make xfs reinit it using:
quotaoff /D
touch /D/something
umount /D
mount /D # impliclty mounts with usrquota,grpquota (options in fstab)

but it would have been nicer to have a mount option.

Jan Engelhardt
--
| Software Engineer and Linux/Unix Network Administrator
| Alphagate Systems, http://alphagate.hopto.org/
| jengelh's site, http://jengelh.hopto.org/

2006-01-30 09:19:20

by Nathan Scott

Subject: Re: reinitializing quota on xfs

On Sun, Jan 29, 2006 at 12:07:51PM +0100, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> for some strange reason, `quota -v` showed an impossible number in the
> inodes (files) field, something that resembled 2^64 - n, n={1..100}. I do

It would be really good if we could get a test case for this; it
gets reported once in a blue moon, so there does seem to be some
latent issue there...

> not know how it happened, but I wanted to reinitialize the quota. Though,
> how does one do that with XFS? (Since it's different from the vfsv0 quota
> architecture.)

See xfs_quota(8) from recent versions of xfsprogs, or in older
ones theres doco in /usr/share/doc/xfsprogs*/README.quota.

cheers.

--
Nathan

2006-01-30 09:47:16

by Jan Engelhardt

>> Hi,
>>
>> for some strange reason, `quota -v` showed an impossible number in the
>> inodes (files) field, something that resembled 2^64 - n, n={1..100}. I do
>
>It would be really good if we could get a test case for this; it
>gets reported once in a blue moon, so there does seem to be some
>latent issue there...

I'll try figure out a testcase.

>> not know how it happened, but I wanted to reinitialize the quota. Though,
>> how does one do that with XFS? (Since it's different from the vfsv0 quota
>> architecture.)
>
>See xfs_quota(8) from recent versions of xfsprogs, or in older
>ones theres doco in /usr/share/doc/xfsprogs*/README.quota.

I can't find it in xfsprogs-2.7.11/man/man8/xfs_admin.8 ... or it's too
well hidden.

Jan Engelhardt