2006-11-12 01:54:23

by Jon Lewis

Subject: spin_trylock/spin_unlock panic in 2.6.9-42.0.3.EL

I have a system running CentOS 4.4 (kernel 2.6.9-42.0.3.EL) which crashed
several times in just over an hour a couple nights ago. Each time, the
last messages / only indication of trouble was:

net/ipv4/icmp.c:239: spin_trylock(net/core/sock.c:f7c27a60) already locked
by net/ipv4/icmp.c/239
kernel panic - not syncing:
net/ipv4/icmp.c:251:spin_unlock(net/core/sock.c:f7c27a60) not locked

In irc, someone suggested this might be caused by bad hardware, but I have
time believing that hardware going bad could cause the kernel to lose
track of spinlocks, especially in exactly the same way repeatedly.

The system is an old Tyan Tiger 200, single PIII-933, 1GB RAM, acting as
both a mail/web server and a NAT router using the two built in Intel
825579 FE interfaces.

This system has been in use and stable for several months prior to these
crashes.

Jon Lewis | I route
Senior Network Engineer | therefore you are
Atlantic Net |