2005-05-12 04:52:09

by P.Manohar

Subject: remote keyboard

" I am planning to have remote keyboard to control the operations on a
particular target. To explain in detail, I will have a PC with keyboard,
mouse etc and this PC will be connected to another PC(Remote) via
Ethernet.
Instead of using the local keyboard input, I want sent the keyboard keys
from the remote system (another PC via Ethernet) and use it as if it
from
the local keyboard.

My Plan
I am planning to use the Linux keyboard driver and read the keyboard
buffer
from the remote PC and send it to the target PC, and in the target PC
whatever the key code I have received through the Ethernet I will put it
into the local keyboard buffer using the Linux keyboard driver IOCTLs.

Can anybody tell me is this acceptable "

Hai,
The above message appeared in kernel-mailing list,
I am also involved in the same problem.
How to put characters into keyboard buffer using the Linux keyboard driver
IOCTLs?

If anybody knows about it please guide me.

2005-05-12 05:01:09

by Raphael Jacquot

Subject: Re: remote keyboard

P.Manohar wrote:

> " I am planning to have remote keyboard to control the operations on a
> particular target. To explain in detail, I will have a PC with keyboard,
> mouse etc and this PC will be connected to another PC(Remote) via
> Ethernet.
> Instead of using the local keyboard input, I want sent the keyboard keys
> from the remote system (another PC via Ethernet) and use it as if it from
> the local keyboard.
>
> My Plan
> I am planning to use the Linux keyboard driver and read the keyboard
> buffer
> from the remote PC and send it to the target PC, and in the target PC
> whatever the key code I have received through the Ethernet I will put it
> into the local keyboard buffer using the Linux keyboard driver IOCTLs.
>
> Can anybody tell me is this acceptable "
>

> Hai,
> The above message appeared in kernel-mailing list,
> I am also involved in the same problem.
> How to put characters into keyboard buffer using the Linux keyboard
> driver IOCTLs?
>
> If anybody knows about it please guide me.

are you using a graphical (Xwindow) application ?
in that case there is absolutely no point in doing that kind of horrible
hack, as the XWindow System is network transparent, that is, you can run
the application on machine A, and have it display and be controlled on
machine B
you can even use the ssh secure shell to securely do so, in an encrypted
manner.

2005-05-12 08:12:59

by Jan-Benedict Glaw

On Thu, 2005-05-12 10:21:31 +0530, P.Manohar <[email protected]> wrote:
> Instead of using the local keyboard input, I want sent the keyboard keys
> from the remote system (another PC via Ethernet) and use it as if it
> from
> the local keyboard.

Write a small server which pushed pack input via uinput into the remote
kernel.

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw [email protected] . +49-172-7608481 _ O _
"Eine Freie Meinung in einem Freien Kopf | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg _ _ O

(No filename) (681.00 B)
signature.asc (189.00 B)
Digital signature

by Joel Jaeggli

On Thu, 12 May 2005, Raphael Jacquot wrote:

> P.Manohar wrote:
>>
>> " I am planning to have remote keyboard to control the operations on a
>> particular target. To explain in detail, I will have a PC with keyboard,
>> mouse etc and this PC will be connected to another PC(Remote) via
>> Ethernet.
>> Instead of using the local keyboard input, I want sent the keyboard keys
>> from the remote system (another PC via Ethernet) and use it as if it from
>> the local keyboard.
>>
>> My Plan
>> I am planning to use the Linux keyboard driver and read the keyboard
>> buffer
>> from the remote PC and send it to the target PC, and in the target PC
>> whatever the key code I have received through the Ethernet I will put it
>> into the local keyboard buffer using the Linux keyboard driver IOCTLs.
>>
>> Can anybody tell me is this acceptable "

VNC would probably be slightly more expedient.

Joel Jaeggli Unix Consulting [email protected]
GPG Key Fingerprint: 5C6E 0104 BAF0 40B0 5BD3 C38B F000 35AB B67F 56B2

2005-05-12 17:43:04

by Timothy Ball

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 10:12:40AM +0200, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-05-12 10:21:31 +0530, P.Manohar <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Instead of using the local keyboard input, I want sent the keyboard keys
> > from the remote system (another PC via Ethernet) and use it as if it
> > from
> > the local keyboard.
>
> Write a small server which pushed pack input via uinput into the remote
> kernel.
>
> MfG, JBG

If you're using X you can use this:
http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/
works quite well cross platform.

--timball

--
GPG key available on pgpkeys.mit.edu
pub 1024D/511FBD54 2001-07-23 Timothy Lu Hu Ball <[email protected]>

Attachments:
(No filename) (742.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)
Download all attachments