2005-09-18 16:46:03

by Marc Perkel

Subject: Wanted - Recommendation of good motherboard for AMD Athlon 64 X2

I'm leaning towards scrappung my Ass motherboard for having a LOT of
Linux problems. Looking for a recommendation of what to replace it with.

I want something that is highly Linux frendly and "just works".

Running Athlon 64 X2 4400+
Needs 4 SATA ports - prefer SATA II
VGA on MB would be nice but not required.
MUST run with 4 gigs of ram. I have Kingston HyperX which should be
plenty fast.
I'm running Fedora Core 4 on it.
I'm Running Maxtor drives that support NCQ even though the SATA
interface is 1.5gb

I don't need raid.

What out there actually works.

--
Marc Perkel - [email protected]

Spam Filter: http://www.junkemailfilter.com
My Blog: http://marc.perkel.com

2005-09-18 16:58:58

by Marc Perkel

Marc Perkel wrote:

> I'm leaning towards scrappung my Ass motherboard for having a LOT of
> Linux problems. Looking for a recommendation of what to replace it with.
>
> I want something that is highly Linux frendly and "just works".
>
> Running Athlon 64 X2 4400+
> Needs 4 SATA ports - prefer SATA II
> VGA on MB would be nice but not required.
> MUST run with 4 gigs of ram. I have Kingston HyperX which should be
> plenty fast.
> I'm running Fedora Core 4 on it.
> I'm Running Maxtor drives that support NCQ even though the SATA
> interface is 1.5gb
>
> I don't need raid.
>
> What out there actually works.

oh - and - I forgot to mention this NO NVidia chips. That's what I'm
trying to get away from because of lack of Linux support.

--
Marc Perkel - [email protected]

Spam Filter: http://www.junkemailfilter.com
My Blog: http://marc.perkel.com

2005-09-18 17:12:21

by Joel Jaeggli

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005, Marc Perkel wrote:

> I'm leaning towards scrappung my Ass motherboard for having a LOT of Linux
> problems. Looking for a recommendation of what to replace it with.
>
> I want something that is highly Linux frendly and "just works".

The via k8t800 based boards has "just worked" from day 1 for me going back
to my socket 754 athlon 64 3000+ which is now fairly old.

As a brdige chipset it's starting to show it's age since it's agp rather
than pci-x.

> Running Athlon 64 X2 4400+
> Needs 4 SATA ports - prefer SATA II
> VGA on MB would be nice but not required.
> MUST run with 4 gigs of ram. I have Kingston HyperX which should be plenty
> fast.

I sort of afraid of running machines with 4GB or more of ram without ecc
memory, but that could be a personal fetish... at this level that argues
in favor of a socket 940 rather than 939.

> I'm running Fedora Core 4 on it.
> I'm Running Maxtor drives that support NCQ even though the SATA interface is
> 1.5gb
>
> I don't need raid.

most of the amd64 systems I build are for servers and most of those have
tyan mainboards at this point.

I'm sort of fascinated with the asrock/uli chipset mainboards that's
floating around but I have actually splurged yet, and I haven't had a uli
chipset mainboard since my cyrix 5x86mx 100 died a couple years ago.

http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20050916/index.html

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157081

> What out there actually works.

Joel Jaeggli Unix Consulting [email protected]
GPG Key Fingerprint: 5C6E 0104 BAF0 40B0 5BD3 C38B F000 35AB B67F 56B2