2005-11-12 00:28:24

by Marc Perkel

Subject: 939 pin Opteron vs. Athlon 64? What's the difference?

OK - I'm confused. What is the difference between an Athlon 64 and a 939
pin Opteron? Or the difference between a 939 pin dual core Athlon and a
939 pin dual core opteron?

I understand that the 940 pin Opterons can be used on multiple processor
boards. But I just don't get it about using a single opteron.

Also - while I'm asking - AMD Semprtons now are 64 bit - so what's the
difference between a 64 bit Sempton and a 64 Bit athlon?

--
Marc Perkel - [email protected]

Spam Filter: http://www.junkemailfilter.com
My Blog: http://marc.perkel.com

2005-11-12 05:50:24

by Joel Jaeggli

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005, Marc Perkel wrote:

> OK - I'm confused. What is the difference between an Athlon 64 and a 939 pin
> Opteron? Or the difference between a 939 pin dual core Athlon and a 939 pin
> dual core opteron?
>
> I understand that the 940 pin Opterons can be used on multiple processor
> boards. But I just don't get it about using a single opteron.

939 uses unregistered memory and 940 uses registered. There are
differences in various cores, 90nm vs 130nm. 512k vs 1mb cache, dual vs
single core, number of cache coherrent hyper-transport links etc, but
memory is the key difference for the socket.

> Also - while I'm asking - AMD Semprtons now are 64 bit - so what's the
> difference between a 64 bit Sempton and a 64 Bit athlon?

Joel Jaeggli Unix Consulting [email protected]
GPG Key Fingerprint: 5C6E 0104 BAF0 40B0 5BD3 C38B F000 35AB B67F 56B2

2005-11-14 12:29:42

by Stefan Smietanowski