2007-08-03 12:00:18

by Grega Fajdiga

Subject: CD/DVD-ROM: ide vs. libata

Hello, LKML,

I'm wondering if the old ide-cd from the ide subsystem is still
necessary to get a CD/DVD-ROM working or is there a libata driver
available already,

Please CC me since I'm not subscribed.

Grega

2007-08-03 12:44:19

by Mikael Pettersson

Subject: Re: CD/DVD-ROM: ide vs. libata

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 13:12:10 +0200, Grega Fajdiga wrote:
> Hello, LKML,
>
> I'm wondering if the old ide-cd from the ide subsystem is still
> necessary to get a CD/DVD-ROM working or is there a libata driver
> available already,
>
> Please CC me since I'm not subscribed.

If you use libata then you don't need anything from CONFIG_IDE,
including ide-cd and ide-scsi.

2007-08-03 13:59:49

by Grega Fajdiga

Mikael Pettersson pravi:

> If you use libata then you don't need anything from CONFIG_IDE,
> including ide-cd and ide-scsi.

Thanks for your answer

regards,
Grega

2007-08-03 16:37:01

by Cal Peake

On Fri, 3 Aug 2007, Grega Fajdiga wrote:

> Hello, LKML,
>
> I'm wondering if the old ide-cd from the ide subsystem is still
> necessary to get a CD/DVD-ROM working or is there a libata driver
> available already,

Check the ATA menu in the kernel config to see if your controller has a
driver. If so, enable it, enable SCSI cdrom support, and disable the old
IDE stuff. If all goes well you should get /dev/sr0 which will be your new
cdrom device.

Cal Peake