2008-02-08 11:50:21

by ael

Subject: git tree urls

I have trouble locating some of the git urls (the mm repository, for
example). I have browsed around
http://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/,
consulted the kernel FAQ, and read the obvious links on http://www.kernel.org.

git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.x.y.git is easy
to find, and I would guess that the main development repository is
pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git/
but that is speculation.

Can someone who knows take a minute or two to put a note of the main
urls on http://www.kernel.org or the FAQ, or have I just missed something?

ael

2008-02-08 13:55:07

by Andi Kleen

Subject: Re: git tree urls

ael <[email protected]> writes:

Mr. Anonymous,

> I have trouble locating some of the git urls (the mm repository, for
> example). I have browsed around
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/,
> consulted the kernel FAQ, and read the obvious links on http://www.kernel.org.
>
> git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.x.y.git is easy
> to find, and I would guess that the main development repository is
> pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git/
> but that is speculation.
>
> Can someone who knows take a minute or two to put a note of the main
> urls on http://www.kernel.org or the FAQ, or have I just missed something?

-mm is not maintained in git, but in quilt format. The latest version is
on the ftp server in akpm's people directory.

-Andi

2008-02-08 15:10:26

by Jiri Kosina

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008, Andi Kleen wrote:

> > Can someone who knows take a minute or two to put a note of the main
> > urls on http://www.kernel.org or the FAQ, or have I just missed something?
> -mm is not maintained in git, but in quilt format. The latest version is
> on the ftp server in akpm's people directory.

... but is also synced to the git repository at
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/smurf/linux-trees.git every
time new -mm is released.

--
Jiri Kosina

2008-02-08 18:59:54

by Stefan Richter

ael wrote:
> I have trouble locating some of the git urls (the mm repository, for
> example).

Have a look at Andrew's announcements of -mm when he releases one.

[...]
> I would guess that the main development repository is
> pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git/
> but that is speculation.
>
> Can someone who knows take a minute or two to put a note of the main
> urls on http://www.kernel.org
[...]

At http://www.kernel.org, click on "C" = "current changesets" of the 2.6 kernel
series to get to the gitweb interface of Linus' tree. There you find
the URL to feed to "git clone" if you want to track Linus' tree.
--
Stefan Richter
-=====-==--- --=- -=---

2008-02-08 19:15:14

by Jan Engelhardt

On Feb 8 2008 11:37, ael wrote:

>I have trouble locating some of the git urls (the mm repository, for
>example). I have browsed around
>http://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/,
>consulted the kernel FAQ, and read the obvious links on http://www.kernel.org.
>
>git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.x.y.git is easy
>to find, and I would guess that the main development repository is
>pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git/
>but that is speculation.

Look at http://git.kernel.org/ for available repositories.

2008-02-08 22:43:40

by ael

Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> On Feb 8 2008 11:37, ael wrote:
>> I have trouble locating some of the git urls (the mm repository, for
>> example). I have browsed around
>> http://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/,
>> consulted the kernel FAQ, and read the obvious links on http://www.kernel.org.
>>
>> git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.x.y.git is easy
>> to find, and I would guess that the main development repository is
>> pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git/
>> but that is speculation.
>
> Look at http://git.kernel.org/ for available repositories.

Sure, I looked there in some depth. But some/most are special purpose or
'locals'. One needs a map for the "main" repositories...

Thanks for the reply.

A Lawrence

2008-02-08 22:58:39

by Jan Engelhardt

On Feb 8 2008 22:34, ael wrote:
>Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>> On Feb 8 2008 11:37, ael wrote:
>>> I have trouble locating some of the git urls (the mm repository, for
>>> example). I have browsed around
>>> http://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/,
>>> consulted the kernel FAQ, and read the obvious links on http://www.kernel.org.
>>>
>>> git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.x.y.git is easy
>>> to find, and I would guess that the main development repository is
>>> pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git/
>>> but that is speculation.
>>
>> Look at http://git.kernel.org/ for available repositories.
>
>Sure, I looked there in some depth. But some/most are special purpose or
> 'locals'. One needs a map for the "main" repositories...

Indeed, a page on kernelnewbies.org with the most important repositories
would be helpful.

Well, to start:

torvalds/linux-2.6.git Mainline
jgarzik/netdev-2.6.git Network devices
davem/net-2.6.git Networking
x86/linux-2.6-x86.git x86
mchehab/v4l-dvb.git V4L and DVB
bunk/trivial.git Spellos, typos and the obvious

But it's not that easy. netdev-2.6.git for example regularly gets merged
into net-2.6.git, so you get a fairly recent netdev tree by choosing
either netdev or net.

2008-02-08 23:37:00

by Ilpo Järvinen

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> On Feb 8 2008 22:34, ael wrote:
> >
> >Sure, I looked there in some depth. But some/most are special purpose or
> > 'locals'. One needs a map for the "main" repositories...
>
> Indeed, a page on kernelnewbies.org with the most important repositories
> would be helpful.
>
> Well, to start:
>
> torvalds/linux-2.6.git Mainline
> jgarzik/netdev-2.6.git Network devices
> davem/net-2.6.git Networking
> x86/linux-2.6-x86.git x86
> mchehab/v4l-dvb.git V4L and DVB
> bunk/trivial.git Spellos, typos and the obvious
>
> But it's not that easy. netdev-2.6.git for example regularly gets merged
> into net-2.6.git, so you get a fairly recent netdev tree by choosing
> either netdev or net.

Also explaining the rotation of those two trees would be useful (I
suppose some other subsystems too use somewhat similar rotation). I.e.,
net-2.6.26.git will eventually be opened and new development should be
based on it (whenever such tree with a future version number is
available), and that tree then becomes net-2.6.git once 2.6.25 is out.
net-2.6.git is usually for fixes only unless merge window is currently
open. These things come up quite often.

--
i.