2008-03-06 21:59:43

by Marc Perkel

Subject: What does a Kernel Error 4 mean?

What does a Kernel Error 4 mean? I'm getting this
running 64 bit Exim. Just trying to track it down and
wondering what an "Error 4" is?

Thanks in Advance

Marc Perkel
Junk Email Filter dot com
http://www.junkemailfilter.com

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

2008-03-06 22:07:38

by Jan Engelhardt

Subject: Re: What does a Kernel Error 4 mean?

On Mar 6 2008 13:59, Marc Perkel wrote:

>What does a Kernel Error 4 mean? I'm getting this
>running 64 bit Exim. Just trying to track it down and
>wondering what an "Error 4" is?

Full error message please.

2008-03-07 06:29:51

by H. Peter Anvin

Marc Perkel wrote:
> What does a Kernel Error 4 mean? I'm getting this
> running 64 bit Exim. Just trying to track it down and
> wondering what an "Error 4" is?

Probably:

#define EINTR 4 /* Interrupted system call */

EINTR should be a non-fatal error; the fact that Exim reports it as an
error probably indicates an Exim bug.

Of course, it could mean something completely different.

-hpa

2008-03-07 15:07:39

by linux-os (Dick Johnson)

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> On Mar 6 2008 13:59, Marc Perkel wrote:
>>
>> What does a Kernel Error 4 mean? I'm getting this
>> running 64 bit Exim. Just trying to track it down and
>> wondering what an "Error 4" is?
>
> Full error message please.
> --

Interrupted system call?
See /usr/include/asm/errno.h. Generally, the kernel
errors are the negative of the user-mode errno values.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.22.1 on an i686 machine (5588.28 BogoMips).
My book : http://www.AbominableFirebug.com/
_

The information transmitted in this message is confidential and may be privileged. Any review, retransmission, dissemination, or other use of this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Analogic Corporation immediately - by replying to this message or by sending an email to [email protected] - and destroy all copies of this information, including any attachments, without reading or disclosing them.

Thank you.

2008-03-07 15:15:22

by Jan Engelhardt

On Mar 7 2008 10:03, linux-os (Dick Johnson) wrote:
>> On Mar 6 2008 13:59, Marc Perkel wrote:
>>>
>>> What does a Kernel Error 4 mean? I'm getting this
>>> running 64 bit Exim. Just trying to track it down and
>>> wondering what an "Error 4" is?
>>
>> Full error message please.
>
>Interrupted system call?

No, there is also

"%s%s[%d]: segfault at %lx ip %08lx sp %08lx error %lx",

and an error code of 4 indicates PF_USER.
That is why it is *important* to provide an *exact* error message
and not just some hear-and-tell number.

2008-03-10 22:31:18

by Marc Perkel

--- "H. Peter Anvin" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Marc Perkel wrote:
> > What does a Kernel Error 4 mean? I'm getting this
> > running 64 bit Exim. Just trying to track it down
> and
> > wondering what an "Error 4" is?
>
> Probably:
>
> #define EINTR 4 /* Interrupted
> system call */
>
> EINTR should be a non-fatal error; the fact that
> Exim reports it as an
> error probably indicates an Exim bug.
>
> Of course, it could mean something completely
> different.

Thanks - I'll look into it further.

Marc Perkel
Junk Email Filter dot com