2001-07-19 12:17:16

by Wakko Warner

Subject: 2.4.6 and netboot

I'm using a kernel that is dd'd to a floppy to net boot linux on random
machines. I noticed that 2.4.6 won't get it's IP from the server (it won't
even attempt it). 2.4.4 works

If any more info is needed, just ask.

by Ryan Sweet

Subject: Re: 2.4.6 and netboot

On Thu, 19 Jul 2001, Wakko Warner wrote:

> I'm using a kernel that is dd'd to a floppy to net boot linux on random
> machines. I noticed that 2.4.6 won't get it's IP from the server (it won't
> even attempt it). 2.4.4 works
>
> If any more info is needed, just ask.

It sounds as though you left out CONFIG_IP_PNP in the kernel
configuration. netboot works fine under 2.4.6 for me....

--
Ryan Sweet <[email protected]>
Atos Origin Engineering Services

2001-07-19 16:13:54

by Joshua Schmidlkofer

On Thursday 19 July 2001 06:26 am, Wakko Warner wrote:
> I'm using a kernel that is dd'd to a floppy to net boot linux on random
> machines. I noticed that 2.4.6 won't get it's IP from the server (it won't
> even attempt it). 2.4.4 works
>
> If any more info is needed, just ask.

Sine 2.4.4 I have been unable to make ipconfig automagically go, and I think
that this configuration is not supported. At least, with my limited
knowledge of how ipconfig works you must to pass: 'ipconfig=dhcp', or
ipconfig='bootp' to the kernel at boot time. I built a LILO disk, but
I think that syslinux would work. Also, I did eventually successfully get an
Xterminal running.

After 2.4.4 ipconfig was changed to the ipconfig= style of behaviour. I
don't know why, but someone does. I think it has to do with implementation
cahnges to allow for modularized NIC's to use ipautoconfig. This seems
insane that functionality was cut in order to do this.

Also, I have been unable to make bootp work for nfsboot, but I suspect my
bootp server - not the kernel.

BACK to the point. Since 2.4.5 I have had to use lilo, and add a line that
says 'nfs=[all that stuff] ipconfig=dhcp'

good luck.

js

2001-07-19 16:23:04

by Wakko Warner

> > I'm using a kernel that is dd'd to a floppy to net boot linux on random
> > machines. I noticed that 2.4.6 won't get it's IP from the server (it won't
> > even attempt it). 2.4.4 works
> >
> > If any more info is needed, just ask.
>
> It sounds as though you left out CONFIG_IP_PNP in the kernel
> configuration. netboot works fine under 2.4.6 for me....

# grep CONFIG_IP_PNP /usr/src/linux/wdist/2.4.6/.config
CONFIG_IP_PNP=y
# CONFIG_IP_PNP_DHCP is not set
CONFIG_IP_PNP_BOOTP=y
# CONFIG_IP_PNP_RARP is not set
#

Nope, didn't. 2.4.4 works just fine, 2.4.6 doesn't. I also have no way of
doing kernel parameters since it's a raw kernel.

by Wakko Warner

> On Thursday 19 July 2001 06:26 am, Wakko Warner wrote:
> > I'm using a kernel that is dd'd to a floppy to net boot linux on random
> > machines. I noticed that 2.4.6 won't get it's IP from the server (it won't
> > even attempt it). 2.4.4 works
> >
> > If any more info is needed, just ask.
>
> Sine 2.4.4 I have been unable to make ipconfig automagically go, and I think
> that this configuration is not supported. At least, with my limited
> knowledge of how ipconfig works you must to pass: 'ipconfig=dhcp', or
> ipconfig='bootp' to the kernel at boot time. I built a LILO disk, but
> I think that syslinux would work. Also, I did eventually successfully get an
> Xterminal running.

> After 2.4.4 ipconfig was changed to the ipconfig= style of behaviour. I
> don't know why, but someone does. I think it has to do with implementation
> cahnges to allow for modularized NIC's to use ipautoconfig. This seems
> insane that functionality was cut in order to do this.

Hmm, maybe I'll check the diff on 2.4.5 to see what was done.

> Also, I have been unable to make bootp work for nfsboot, but I suspect my
> bootp server - not the kernel.
>
> BACK to the point. Since 2.4.5 I have had to use lilo, and add a line that
> says 'nfs=[all that stuff] ipconfig=dhcp'

=(