2002-03-02 05:12:08

by John Jasen

Subject: dell inspiron and 2.4.18?

I have a Dell Inspiron 3700 running Redhat 7.2 with the latest updates,
and I just upgraded to kernel 2.4.18. On random intervals, usually within
about 10 minutes of usage, it hangs completely solid.

Enabling sysrq, recompiling 2.4.18 with kdb, and going to tinker with APIC
tomorrow. Results, kernel .config, lspci -v, and so forth will be posted
when I'm more awake.

Anyway, the short form: anyone else have any problems, or have I gone
crazy again?

--
-- John E. Jasen ([email protected])
-- In theory, theory and practise are the same. In practise, they aren't.

2002-03-02 05:47:58

by NyQuist

Subject: Re: dell inspiron and 2.4.18?

On Sat, 2002-03-02 at 05:11, John Jasen wrote:

> I have a Dell Inspiron 3700 running Redhat 7.2 with the latest updates,
> and I just upgraded to kernel 2.4.18. On random intervals, usually within
> about 10 minutes of usage, it hangs completely solid.
>
> Enabling sysrq, recompiling 2.4.18 with kdb, and going to tinker with APIC
> tomorrow. Results, kernel .config, lspci -v, and so forth will be posted
> when I'm more awake.
>
> Anyway, the short form: anyone else have any problems, or have I gone
> crazy again?

Even though I wouldn't go so far as to call the 2.4 series stable (not
disrespecting the kernel hackers), i've been wondering whether my hours
spent in front of the computer are dulling my senses; i've had
intermittent lock-ups and 'soft'-locks, where hardly any processing is
done. I'm running 2.4.17 on a dell dimension.
I wouldn't say you're crazy, but i'm getting nervous tics from sitting
in front of the computer screen all day, so what can I say :)
> --
> -- John E. Jasen ([email protected])
> -- In theory, theory and practise are the same. In practise, they aren't.
>
> -
NyQuist | Matthew Hall -- NyQuist at ntlworld dot com --
http://NyQuist.port5.com
Sig: #define QUESTION ((bb) || !(bb))

2002-03-02 06:18:50

by Barry K. Nathan

John Jasen wrote:
> I have a Dell Inspiron 3700 running Redhat 7.2 with the latest updates,
> and I just upgraded to kernel 2.4.18. On random intervals, usually within
> about 10 minutes of usage, it hangs completely solid.
[snip]
> Anyway, the short form: anyone else have any problems, or have I gone
> crazy again?

My own Inspiron 5000e is running a heavily patched-up (-jam with
grsecurity and a few other things merged in) 2.4.18-based kernel with no
problems.

I installed 2.4.18-ac2 on an Inspiron 7500 today, and rpm started
corrupting its database repeatedly (rpm --rebuilddb would only fix things
until I installed or freshened a few more packages, then the corruption
would come back). Upgrading rpm to the 4.0.3 release candidate from
Rawhide, then doing another rpm --rebuilddb to be safe, made this problem
completely disappear however, and the system is otherwise totally stable
so far.

-Barry K. Nathan <[email protected]>

2002-03-02 16:34:37

by NyQuist

On Sat, 2002-03-02 at 16:13, Mark Hahn wrote:
> > Even though I wouldn't go so far as to call the 2.4 series stable (not
>
> it is. at least in the sense of not "locking up" under normal loads.
>
> > spent in front of the computer are dulling my senses; i've had
> > intermittent lock-ups and 'soft'-locks, where hardly any processing is
> > done. I'm running 2.4.17 on a dell dimension.
>
> apm and/or acpi active?

.config

CONFIG_APM=y
# CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
# CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE is not set
# CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE is not set
# CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK is not set
# CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT is not set
# CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS is not set
# CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF is not set
# CONFIG_ACPI is not set

It's quite wierd, a couple of days ago, it soft-locked several times
whilst playing a dvd (no h/w decoder so probably load problems), and
yesterday it completely slowed (to a near halt - and in the middle of
coding aswell :(). I'm now unsure whether my hdd is on the edge of
collapse (time to backup), or my old p3 500 is on the blink.

--
NyQuist | Matthew Hall -- NyQuist at ntlworld dot com --
http://NyQuist.port5.com
Sig: #define QUESTION ((bb) || !(bb))

2002-03-02 21:34:53

by John Jasen

On Sat, 2 Mar 2002, John Jasen wrote:

> I have a Dell Inspiron 3700 running Redhat 7.2 with the latest updates,
> and I just upgraded to kernel 2.4.18. On random intervals, usually within
> about 10 minutes of usage, it hangs completely solid.
>
> Enabling sysrq, recompiling 2.4.18 with kdb, and going to tinker with APIC
> tomorrow. Results, kernel .config, lspci -v, and so forth will be posted
> when I'm more awake.
>
> Anyway, the short form: anyone else have any problems, or have I gone
> crazy again?

kernel config, dmesg output, lspci -vv output, /proc/interrupts and
/proc/pci have been posted to http://www.realityfailure.org/~jjasen/dell/

this is for kernel-2.4.18, with kdb patched and enabled, sysrq enabled,
and I'm sitting here waiting for it to go wrong.

And waiting!

uptime
4:28pm up 13 min, 6 users, load average: 0.05, 0.44, 0.35

Any ideas?

--
-- John E. Jasen ([email protected])
-- In theory, theory and practise are the same. In practise, they aren't.

2002-03-02 21:55:07

by Thomas Hood

Try booting with

apm=allow_ints

2002-03-04 03:41:35

by John Jasen

On Sat, 2 Mar 2002, John Jasen wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Mar 2002, John Jasen wrote:
>
> > I have a Dell Inspiron 3700 running Redhat 7.2 with the latest updates,
> > and I just upgraded to kernel 2.4.18. On random intervals, usually within
> > about 10 minutes of usage, it hangs completely solid.
> >
> > Enabling sysrq, recompiling 2.4.18 with kdb, and going to tinker with APIC
> > tomorrow. Results, kernel .config, lspci -v, and so forth will be posted
> > when I'm more awake.
> >
> > Anyway, the short form: anyone else have any problems, or have I gone
> > crazy again?
>
> kernel config, dmesg output, lspci -vv output, /proc/interrupts and
> /proc/pci have been posted to http://www.realityfailure.org/~jjasen/dell/
>
> this is for kernel-2.4.18, with kdb patched and enabled, sysrq enabled,
> and I'm sitting here waiting for it to go wrong.
>
> And waiting!

I'm beginning to think that this was just the ghost in the machine
screwing with me, as I've beaten on 2.4.18-kdb for about two days and it
hasn't hung.