2004-04-07 13:38:07

by sting sting

Subject: panic when adding root=/LABEL=/ in grub.conf - newbie

Hello,

I am working with kenel 2.4.20 on Intel x86.
Now I Had downloaded a kernel source to a different folder and build it.
I added an entry in grub.conf
When I choose to load that kernel everything is OK.
It works wth no problem.
But under /boot I see nothing of the original files (there is only one file
there , kernel.h).

The output of mount is :

/dev/hda3 on / type ext3 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)

when I add the following in grub.conf (to the option of choosing to load
this kernel)

root=/LABEL=/

I get the the following panic message:
VFS: cannot open root device = "LABEL=/" or 00:00
Please append a correct "root= " boot option.
Kernel panic : VFS: unable to mount root fs on 00:00

Any idea?
Any help will be appreciated.

Sting

by Arjan van de Ven

On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 15:37, sting sting wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working with kenel 2.4.20 on Intel x86.
> Now I Had downloaded a kernel source to a different folder and build it.
> I added an entry in grub.conf
> When I choose to load that kernel everything is OK.
> It works wth no problem.
> But under /boot I see nothing of the original files (there is only one file
> there , kernel.h).

you need to use an initrd if you want mount-by-label to work for your
root filesystem.
on a RHL or Fedora system (and I suspect other distros too but I don't
know for sure) just doing a "make install" in the kernel source will
make one for you and put the kernel you just build into the grub config
etc etc etc.

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2004-04-07 16:24:44

by Andreas Dilger

On Apr 07, 2004 16:37 +0300, sting sting wrote:
> when I add the following in grub.conf (to the option of choosing to load
> this kernel)
>
> root=/LABEL=/
>
> I get the the following panic message:
> VFS: cannot open root device = "LABEL=/" or 00:00
> Please append a correct "root= " boot option.
> Kernel panic : VFS: unable to mount root fs on 00:00

Instead, use the correct format, otherwise (as errors say, a device "/LABEL="
cannot be found:

root=LABEL=/

Cheers, Andreas
--