2022-02-03 14:45:33

by Florian Fainelli

Subject: Updated git tree for MM patches??

Hi Andrew, Johannes,

The MAINTAINERS file for MEMORY MANAGEMENT lists the following git tree:

git://github.com/hnaz/linux-mm.git

however it does not look like it has been updated in the past 5 months
or so as master still points to 5.17-rc7-mm1

Is there another git tree that other memory management related
subsystems use for development?

Thanks!
--
Florian

2022-02-03 17:11:50

by Florian Fainelli

Subject: Re: Updated git tree for MM patches??

On 2/3/2022 6:34 AM, Johannes Weiner wrote:
> Hi Florian,
>
> On Wed, Feb 02, 2022 at 04:21:38PM -0800, Florian Fainelli wrote:
>> Hi Andrew, Johannes,
>>
>> The MAINTAINERS file for MEMORY MANAGEMENT lists the following git tree:
>>
>> git://github.com/hnaz/linux-mm.git
>>
>> however it does not look like it has been updated in the past 5 months or so
>> as master still points to 5.17-rc7-mm1
>
> Oops, that was a bug in my script. I had to work around a behavior
> change in wget and it looks like it started failing quietly in the
> next wget version.
>
> All fixed now and the tree is uptodate again. Thanks for the report.

And thank you for fixing it quickly, looking good now!
--
Florian

2022-02-04 15:06:42

by Vlastimil Babka

On 2/3/22 08:01, Mike Rapoport wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 02, 2022 at 04:21:38PM -0800, Florian Fainelli wrote:
>> Hi Andrew, Johannes,
>>
>> The MAINTAINERS file for MEMORY MANAGEMENT lists the following git tree:
>>
>> git://github.com/hnaz/linux-mm.git
>>
>> however it does not look like it has been updated in the past 5 months or so
>> as master still points to 5.17-rc7-mm1
>>
>> Is there another git tree that other memory management related subsystems
>> use for development?
>
> AFAIK, hnaz/linux-mm was the only git mirror of mmotm series.

IIRC Michal Hocko also used to maintain one, in a different way, but that
was given up even longer ago.

linux-next seems to maintain its branch that's merged to the final next like
this:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git/log/?h=akpm
but that means getting the whole of next, not just mmotm. Maybe the branch
'akpm-current/current' could be also exposed separately?

> I keep a tree for memblock, but it follows Linus' tree rather than mmotm.
> I think Vlastimil's slab tree does the same.

Yeah as that's how development should be done in general, the trees should
be independent if possible.

2022-02-04 15:34:04

by Mike Rapoport

On Wed, Feb 02, 2022 at 04:21:38PM -0800, Florian Fainelli wrote:
> Hi Andrew, Johannes,
>
> The MAINTAINERS file for MEMORY MANAGEMENT lists the following git tree:
>
> git://github.com/hnaz/linux-mm.git
>
> however it does not look like it has been updated in the past 5 months or so
> as master still points to 5.17-rc7-mm1
>
> Is there another git tree that other memory management related subsystems
> use for development?

AFAIK, hnaz/linux-mm was the only git mirror of mmotm series.

I keep a tree for memblock, but it follows Linus' tree rather than mmotm.
I think Vlastimil's slab tree does the same.

--
Sincerely yours,
Mike.

2022-02-05 06:21:36

by Johannes Weiner

Hi Florian,

On Wed, Feb 02, 2022 at 04:21:38PM -0800, Florian Fainelli wrote:
> Hi Andrew, Johannes,
>
> The MAINTAINERS file for MEMORY MANAGEMENT lists the following git tree:
>
> git://github.com/hnaz/linux-mm.git
>
> however it does not look like it has been updated in the past 5 months or so
> as master still points to 5.17-rc7-mm1

Oops, that was a bug in my script. I had to work around a behavior
change in wget and it looks like it started failing quietly in the
next wget version.

All fixed now and the tree is uptodate again. Thanks for the report.

Johannes