2022-03-30 18:08:13

by Borislav Petkov

Subject: 9def39be4e96 ("x86: Support compiling out human-friendly processor feature names")

Hey Josh,

I'm assuming the commit in subject was part of the tinyconfig effort and
I'm also assuming that effort is long gone now.

So, can I rip out that config item and get rid of a lot of ifdeffery
we're sporting because of it?

Thx.

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

https://people.kernel.org/tglx/notes-about-netiquette

2022-03-31 04:55:42

by Josh Triplett

On Wed, Mar 30, 2022 at 12:30:44PM +0200, Borislav Petkov wrote:
> I'm assuming the commit in subject was part of the tinyconfig effort

Yes.

> and I'm also assuming that effort is long gone now.

tinyconfig still exists, and people still use it. The effort to make the
kernel even *smaller* is not as actively developed as it used to be, but
there's still an ongoing effort to prevent it from regressing and
getting *larger*.

I still get regular mails every time tinyconfig gets larger, and I
regularly send responses to those asking people to add kconfig options.
(For instance, this commonly results in making sure that new syscalls
get put behind a kconfig option.) I don't have the bandwidth to maintain
a dedicated tree for new patches making the kernel smaller, but I do try
to make sure the situation doesn't get worse.

- Josh Triplett