2023-05-06 23:22:24

by Bhaskar Chowdhury

Subject: Debian package build from upstream source need git repo?? Failing...

Hey,
While building the customary kernel from from source with my frivolous script
and it is now failing with this error:

/usr/bin/make -f ./scripts/Makefile.package deb-pkg
# GEN debian
./scripts/package/mkdebian --need-source
error: creating source package requires git repository
make[1]: *** [scripts/Makefile.package:40: check-git] Error 1
warning: Not a git repository. Use --no-index to compare two paths outside a
working tree

I can vividly remember that it was working fine few months back...in fact
building the 6.2.2 kernel. I am certainly missing the updated information of
change. The damn script just untar the tarball and build.

Masahiro?? Git repo requirement is mandatory to build from source, why? Was
it the case??

Or I probably doing something horrendous, but I can assure you that I haven't
change a single word in my script, as I mentioned it works file with last
release build.

Please shed some light.
Bhaskar

"Here's looking at you kid"-- Casablanca
https://about.me/unixbhaskar

2023-05-07 02:13:45

by Bhaskar Chowdhury

On 17:54 Sat 06 May 2023, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>On Sat, May 6, 2023 at 3:47 PM Bhaskar Chowdhury <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>> I can vividly remember that it was working fine few months back...in fact
>> building the 6.2.2 kernel. I am certainly missing the updated information of
>> change. The damn script just untar the tarball and build.
>
>Yes, please just use git if you build packages.
>
>We've been using git for almost 20 years now, it's become the most
>widely used SCM in the world, it's time you just laid tar-balls to
>rest as a way to distribute kernel sources.
>
> Linus
Sure thing. Thanks for the heads up...will follow.
Bhaskar

"Here's looking at you kid"-- Casablanca
https://about.me/unixbhaskar

Attachments:
(No filename) (783.00 B)
signature.asc (499.00 B)