2023-09-12 14:39:19

by Pablo Neira Ayuso

Subject: Re: Regression: Commit "netfilter: nf_tables: disallow rule addition to bound chain via NFTA_RULE_CHAIN_ID" breaks ruleset loading in linux-stable

Hi Timo,

On Mon, Sep 11, 2023 at 11:37:50PM +0200, Timo Sigurdsson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> recently, Debian updated their stable kernel from 6.1.38 to 6.1.52
> which broke nftables ruleset loading on one of my machines with lots
> of "Operation not supported" errors. I've reported this to the
> Debian project (see link below) and Salvatore Bonaccorso and I
> identified "netfilter: nf_tables: disallow rule addition to bound
> chain via NFTA_RULE_CHAIN_ID" (0ebc1064e487) as the offending commit
> that introduced the regression. Salvatore also found that this issue
> affects the 5.10 stable tree as well (observed in 5.10.191), but he
> cannot reproduce it on 6.4.13 and 6.5.2.
>
> The issue only occurs with some rulesets. While I can't trigger it
> with simple/minimal rulesets that I use on some machines, it does
> occur with a more complex ruleset that has been in use for months
> (if not years, for large parts of it). I'm attaching a somewhat
> stripped down version of the ruleset from the machine I originally
> observed this issue on. It's still not a small or simple ruleset,
> but I'll try to reduce it further when I have more time.
>
> The error messages shown when trying to load the ruleset don't seem
> to be helpful. Just two simple examples: Just to give two simple
> examples from the log when nftables fails to start:
> /etc/nftables.conf:99:4-44: Error: Could not process rule: Operation not supported
> tcp option maxseg size 1-500 counter drop
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> /etc/nftables.conf:308:4-27: Error: Could not process rule: Operation not supported
> tcp dport sip-tls accept
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I can reproduce this issue with 5.10.191 and 6.1.52 and nftables v1.0.6,
this is not reproducible with v1.0.7 and v1.0.8.

> Since the issue only affects some stable trees, Salvatore thought it
> might be an incomplete backport that causes this.
>
> If you need further information, please let me know.

Userspace nftables v1.0.6 generates incorrect bytecode that hits a new
kernel check that rejects adding rules to bound chains. The incorrect
bytecode adds the chain binding, attach it to the rule and it adds the
rules to the chain binding. I have cherry-picked these three patches
for nftables v1.0.6 userspace and your ruleset restores fine.

See patches enclosed to this email.

Attachments:
(No filename) (2.43 kB)
0001-rule-add-helper-function-to-expand-chain-rules-into-.patch (2.45 kB)
0002-rule-expand-standalone-chain-that-contains-rules.patch (3.66 kB)
0003-src-expand-table-command-before-evaluation.patch (6.55 kB)
Download all attachments

On 12.09.23 00:57, Pablo Neira Ayuso wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 11, 2023 at 11:37:50PM +0200, Timo Sigurdsson wrote:
>>
>> recently, Debian updated their stable kernel from 6.1.38 to 6.1.52
>> which broke nftables ruleset loading on one of my machines with lots
>> of "Operation not supported" errors. I've reported this to the
>> Debian project (see link below) and Salvatore Bonaccorso and I
>> identified "netfilter: nf_tables: disallow rule addition to bound
>> chain via NFTA_RULE_CHAIN_ID" (0ebc1064e487) as the offending commit
>> that introduced the regression. Salvatore also found that this issue
>> affects the 5.10 stable tree as well (observed in 5.10.191), but he
>> cannot reproduce it on 6.4.13 and 6.5.2.
>>
>> The issue only occurs with some rulesets. While I can't trigger it
>> with simple/minimal rulesets that I use on some machines, it does
>> occur with a more complex ruleset that has been in use for months
>> (if not years, for large parts of it). I'm attaching a somewhat
>> stripped down version of the ruleset from the machine I originally
>> observed this issue on. It's still not a small or simple ruleset,
>> but I'll try to reduce it further when I have more time.
>>
>> The error messages shown when trying to load the ruleset don't seem
>> to be helpful. Just two simple examples: Just to give two simple
>> examples from the log when nftables fails to start:
>> /etc/nftables.conf:99:4-44: Error: Could not process rule: Operation not supported
>> tcp option maxseg size 1-500 counter drop
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> /etc/nftables.conf:308:4-27: Error: Could not process rule: Operation not supported
>> tcp dport sip-tls accept
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> I can reproduce this issue with 5.10.191 and 6.1.52 and nftables v1.0.6,
> this is not reproducible with v1.0.7 and v1.0.8.
>
>> Since the issue only affects some stable trees, Salvatore thought it
>> might be an incomplete backport that causes this.
>>
>> If you need further information, please let me know.
>
> Userspace nftables v1.0.6 generates incorrect bytecode that hits a new
> kernel check that rejects adding rules to bound chains. The incorrect
> bytecode adds the chain binding, attach it to the rule and it adds the
> rules to the chain binding. I have cherry-picked these three patches
> for nftables v1.0.6 userspace and your ruleset restores fine.
> [...]

Hmmmm. Well, this sounds like a kernel regression to me that normally
should be dealt with on the kernel level, as users after updating the
kernel should never have to update any userspace stuff to continue what
they have been doing before the kernel update.

Can't the kernel somehow detect the incorrect bytecode and do the right
thing(tm) somehow?

But yes, don't worry, I know that reality is not black and white and
that it's crucial that things like package filtering do exactly what the
user expect it to do; that's why this might be one of those rare
situations where "user has to update userspace components to support
newer kernels" might be the better of two bad choices. But I had to ask
to ensure it's something like that.

Everything you wanna know about Linux kernel regression tracking:
https://linux-regtracking.leemhuis.info/about/#tldr
If I did something stupid, please tell me, as explained on that page.

2023-09-13 05:20:31

by Timo Sigurdsson

Hi Pablo,

Pablo Neira Ayuso schrieb am 12.09.2023 00:57 (GMT +02:00):

> Hi Timo,
>
> On Mon, Sep 11, 2023 at 11:37:50PM +0200, Timo Sigurdsson wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> recently, Debian updated their stable kernel from 6.1.38 to 6.1.52
>> which broke nftables ruleset loading on one of my machines with lots
>> of "Operation not supported" errors. I've reported this to the
>> Debian project (see link below) and Salvatore Bonaccorso and I
>> identified "netfilter: nf_tables: disallow rule addition to bound
>> chain via NFTA_RULE_CHAIN_ID" (0ebc1064e487) as the offending commit
>> that introduced the regression. Salvatore also found that this issue
>> affects the 5.10 stable tree as well (observed in 5.10.191), but he
>> cannot reproduce it on 6.4.13 and 6.5.2.
>>
>> The issue only occurs with some rulesets. While I can't trigger it
>> with simple/minimal rulesets that I use on some machines, it does
>> occur with a more complex ruleset that has been in use for months
>> (if not years, for large parts of it). I'm attaching a somewhat
>> stripped down version of the ruleset from the machine I originally
>> observed this issue on. It's still not a small or simple ruleset,
>> but I'll try to reduce it further when I have more time.
>>
>> The error messages shown when trying to load the ruleset don't seem
>> to be helpful. Just two simple examples: Just to give two simple
>> examples from the log when nftables fails to start:
>> /etc/nftables.conf:99:4-44: Error: Could not process rule: Operation not
>> supported
>> tcp option maxseg size 1-500 counter drop
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> /etc/nftables.conf:308:4-27: Error: Could not process rule: Operation not
>> supported
>> tcp dport sip-tls accept
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> I can reproduce this issue with 5.10.191 and 6.1.52 and nftables v1.0.6,
> this is not reproducible with v1.0.7 and v1.0.8.
>
>> Since the issue only affects some stable trees, Salvatore thought it
>> might be an incomplete backport that causes this.
>>
>> If you need further information, please let me know.
>
> Userspace nftables v1.0.6 generates incorrect bytecode that hits a new
> kernel check that rejects adding rules to bound chains. The incorrect
> bytecode adds the chain binding, attach it to the rule and it adds the
> rules to the chain binding. I have cherry-picked these three patches
> for nftables v1.0.6 userspace and your ruleset restores fine.

hmm, that doesn't explain why Salvatore didn't observe this with more recent kernels.

Salvatore, did you use newer userspace components when you tested your 6.4.13 and 6.5.2 builds?

As for the regression and how it be dealt with: Personally, I don't really care whether the regression is solved in the kernel or userspace. If everybody agrees that this is the best or only viable option and Debian decides to push a nftables update to fix this, that works for me. But I do feel the burden to justify this should be high. A kernel change that leaves users without a working packet filter after upgrading their machines is serious, if you ask me. And since it affects several stable/longterm trees, I would assume this will hit other stable (non-rolling) distributions as well, since they will also use older userspace components (unless this is behavior specific to nftables 1.0.6 but not older versions). They probably should get a heads up then.

Regards,

Timo

2023-09-13 15:45:07

by Salvatore Bonaccorso

Hi Timo,

On Tue, Sep 12, 2023 at 01:39:59PM +0200, Timo Sigurdsson wrote:
> Hi Pablo,
>
> Pablo Neira Ayuso schrieb am 12.09.2023 00:57 (GMT +02:00):
>
> > Hi Timo,
> >
> > On Mon, Sep 11, 2023 at 11:37:50PM +0200, Timo Sigurdsson wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> recently, Debian updated their stable kernel from 6.1.38 to 6.1.52
> >> which broke nftables ruleset loading on one of my machines with lots
> >> of "Operation not supported" errors. I've reported this to the
> >> Debian project (see link below) and Salvatore Bonaccorso and I
> >> identified "netfilter: nf_tables: disallow rule addition to bound
> >> chain via NFTA_RULE_CHAIN_ID" (0ebc1064e487) as the offending commit
> >> that introduced the regression. Salvatore also found that this issue
> >> affects the 5.10 stable tree as well (observed in 5.10.191), but he
> >> cannot reproduce it on 6.4.13 and 6.5.2.
> >>
> >> The issue only occurs with some rulesets. While I can't trigger it
> >> with simple/minimal rulesets that I use on some machines, it does
> >> occur with a more complex ruleset that has been in use for months
> >> (if not years, for large parts of it). I'm attaching a somewhat
> >> stripped down version of the ruleset from the machine I originally
> >> observed this issue on. It's still not a small or simple ruleset,
> >> but I'll try to reduce it further when I have more time.
> >>
> >> The error messages shown when trying to load the ruleset don't seem
> >> to be helpful. Just two simple examples: Just to give two simple
> >> examples from the log when nftables fails to start:
> >> /etc/nftables.conf:99:4-44: Error: Could not process rule: Operation not
> >> supported
> >> tcp option maxseg size 1-500 counter drop
> >> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >> /etc/nftables.conf:308:4-27: Error: Could not process rule: Operation not
> >> supported
> >> tcp dport sip-tls accept
> >> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > I can reproduce this issue with 5.10.191 and 6.1.52 and nftables v1.0.6,
> > this is not reproducible with v1.0.7 and v1.0.8.
> >
> >> Since the issue only affects some stable trees, Salvatore thought it
> >> might be an incomplete backport that causes this.
> >>
> >> If you need further information, please let me know.
> >
> > Userspace nftables v1.0.6 generates incorrect bytecode that hits a new
> > kernel check that rejects adding rules to bound chains. The incorrect
> > bytecode adds the chain binding, attach it to the rule and it adds the
> > rules to the chain binding. I have cherry-picked these three patches
> > for nftables v1.0.6 userspace and your ruleset restores fine.
>
> hmm, that doesn't explain why Salvatore didn't observe this with
> more recent kernels.
>
> Salvatore, did you use newer userspace components when you tested
> your 6.4.13 and 6.5.2 builds?

It does explain now because understanding the issue better. While one
while experinting should only change each one constraint for the
6.4.13 and 6.5.2 testing I indeed switched to a Debian unstable
system, which has newer userpace nftables and so not triggering the
issue. This was missleading for the report.

> As for the regression and how it be dealt with: Personally, I don't
> really care whether the regression is solved in the kernel or
> userspace. If everybody agrees that this is the best or only viable
> option and Debian decides to push a nftables update to fix this,
> that works for me. But I do feel the burden to justify this should
> be high. A kernel change that leaves users without a working packet
> filter after upgrading their machines is serious, if you ask me. And
> since it affects several stable/longterm trees, I would assume this
> will hit other stable (non-rolling) distributions as well, since
> they will also use older userspace components (unless this is
> behavior specific to nftables 1.0.6 but not older versions). They
> probably should get a heads up then.

So if it is generally believed on kernel side there should not happen
any further changes to work with older userland, I guess in Debian we
will need to patch nftables. I'm CC'ing Arturo Borrero Gonzalez
<[email protected]>, maintainer for the package. The update should go
ideally in the next point releases from October (and maybe released
earlier as well trough the stable-updates mechanism).

FWIW: In Debian bullseye we have 0.9.8 based nftables, in bookworm
1.0.6, so both will need those fixes.

As 0ebc1064e487 is to address CVE-2023-4147 other distros picking the
fix will likely encounter the problem at some point. It looks Red Hat
has taken it (some RHSA's were released), I assume Ubuntu will shortly
as well release USN's containing a fix.

Regards,
Salvatore

2023-09-16 00:07:09

by Timo Sigurdsson

Hi,

Salvatore Bonaccorso schrieb am 12.09.2023 21:13 (GMT +02:00):

> Hi Timo,
>
> On Tue, Sep 12, 2023 at 01:39:59PM +0200, Timo Sigurdsson wrote:
>> Hi Pablo,
>>
>> Pablo Neira Ayuso schrieb am 12.09.2023 00:57 (GMT +02:00):
>>
>> > Hi Timo,

>> > I can reproduce this issue with 5.10.191 and 6.1.52 and nftables v1.0.6,
>> > this is not reproducible with v1.0.7 and v1.0.8.

>> > Userspace nftables v1.0.6 generates incorrect bytecode that hits a new
>> > kernel check that rejects adding rules to bound chains. The incorrect
>> > bytecode adds the chain binding, attach it to the rule and it adds the
>> > rules to the chain binding. I have cherry-picked these three patches
>> > for nftables v1.0.6 userspace and your ruleset restores fine.
>>
>> hmm, that doesn't explain why Salvatore didn't observe this with
>> more recent kernels.
>>
>> Salvatore, did you use newer userspace components when you tested
>> your 6.4.13 and 6.5.2 builds?
>
> It does explain now because understanding the issue better. While one
> while experinting should only change each one constraint for the
> 6.4.13 and 6.5.2 testing I indeed switched to a Debian unstable
> system, which has newer userpace nftables and so not triggering the
> issue. This was missleading for the report.
>
>> As for the regression and how it be dealt with: Personally, I don't
>> really care whether the regression is solved in the kernel or
>> userspace. If everybody agrees that this is the best or only viable
>> option and Debian decides to push a nftables update to fix this,
>> that works for me. But I do feel the burden to justify this should
>> be high. A kernel change that leaves users without a working packet
>> filter after upgrading their machines is serious, if you ask me. And
>> since it affects several stable/longterm trees, I would assume this
>> will hit other stable (non-rolling) distributions as well, since
>> they will also use older userspace components (unless this is
>> behavior specific to nftables 1.0.6 but not older versions). They
>> probably should get a heads up then.
>
> So if it is generally believed on kernel side there should not happen
> any further changes to work with older userland, I guess in Debian we
> will need to patch nftables. I'm CC'ing Arturo Borrero Gonzalez
> <[email protected]>, maintainer for the package. The update should go
> ideally in the next point releases from October (and maybe released
> earlier as well trough the stable-updates mechanism).

So, I built nftables 1.0.6-2+deb12u1 with the three cherry-picked patches from Pablo and can confirm that they resolve the issue for me on bookworm. I can now run linux 6.1.52-1 and load my original nftables ruleset again.

> FWIW: In Debian bullseye we have 0.9.8 based nftables, in bookworm
> 1.0.6, so both will need those fixes.
>
> As 0ebc1064e487 is to address CVE-2023-4147 other distros picking the
> fix will likely encounter the problem at some point. It looks Red Hat
> has taken it (some RHSA's were released), I assume Ubuntu will shortly
> as well release USN's containing a fix.

SUSE has also picked this patch for SLES/SLED. I hope maintainers follow the mailing lists cc'ed here or that someone gives them a heads up before this hits more production systems.

Thanks and regards,

Timo