2023-09-14 03:49:48

by kernel test robot

Subject: arm-linux-gnueabi-ld: error: .btf.vmlinux.bin.o is already in final BE8 format

tree: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git master
head: aed8aee11130a954356200afa3f1b8753e8a9482
commit: 5f2779dfa7b8cc7dfd4a1b6586d86e0d193266f3 blk-iocost: avoid 64-bit division in ioc_timer_fn
date: 8 months ago
config: arm-randconfig-002-20230914 (https://download.01.org/0day-ci/archive/20230914/[email protected]/config)
compiler: arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc (GCC) 13.2.0
reproduce (this is a W=1 build): (https://download.01.org/0day-ci/archive/20230914/[email protected]/reproduce)

If you fix the issue in a separate patch/commit (i.e. not just a new version of
the same patch/commit), kindly add following tags
| Reported-by: kernel test robot <[email protected]>
| Closes: https://lore.kernel.org/oe-kbuild-all/[email protected]/

All errors (new ones prefixed by >>):

>> arm-linux-gnueabi-ld: error: .btf.vmlinux.bin.o is already in final BE8 format
arm-linux-gnueabi-ld: failed to merge target specific data of file .btf.vmlinux.bin.o

--
0-DAY CI Kernel Test Service
https://github.com/intel/lkp-tests/wiki

2023-09-14 05:09:18

by Arnd Bergmann

On Thu, Sep 14, 2023, at 05:45, kernel test robot wrote:

> If you fix the issue in a separate patch/commit (i.e. not just a new
> version of
> the same patch/commit), kindly add following tags
> | Reported-by: kernel test robot <[email protected]>
> | Closes:
> https://lore.kernel.org/oe-kbuild-all/[email protected]/
>
> All errors (new ones prefixed by >>):
>
>>> arm-linux-gnueabi-ld: error: .btf.vmlinux.bin.o is already in final BE8 format
> arm-linux-gnueabi-ld: failed to merge target specific data of file
> .btf.vmlinux.bin.o

It's a completely unrelated issue at the link stage that gets
exposed by fixing the other bug. I don't see this in my
randconfig builds right now, so I probably have a workaround for
it somewhere, but I can't find it.

Arnd

2023-09-14 19:13:08

by Li, Philip

On Thu, Sep 14, 2023 at 06:11:12PM +0800, Philip Li wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 14, 2023 at 07:08:14AM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 14, 2023, at 05:45, kernel test robot wrote:
> > >
> > > If you fix the issue in a separate patch/commit (i.e. not just a new
> > > version of
> > > the same patch/commit), kindly add following tags
> > > https://lore.kernel.org/oe-kbuild-all/[email protected]/
> > >
> > > All errors (new ones prefixed by >>):

> > > arm-linux-gnueabi-ld: failed to merge target specific data of file
> > > .btf.vmlinux.bin.o
> >
> > It's a completely unrelated issue at the link stage that gets
> > exposed by fixing the other bug. I don't see this in my
>
> Thanks Arnd for the info, we will check and avoid wrong bisection
> for this. Sorry for the noise.

BTW: i found this false positive had been reported multiple times in history,
in your previous reply [0], you had mentioned below to add a Kconfig dependency,
is it the workaround you refer to?

> >> arm-linux-gnueabi-ld: error: .btf.vmlinux.bin.o is already in final BE8 format
> arm-linux-gnueabi-ld: failed to merge target specific data of file .btf.vmlinux.bin.o

I had a look at this bug, and found that this is not caused by my commit, but
rather is the result of CONFIG_CPU_BIG_ENDIAN with BE8 format being
incompatible with CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO_BTF.

I'm sure there is an easy fix but I have not found it. Should we just
add a Kconfig
dependency to prevent this, or does anyone have an idea for a proper fix?

https://lore.kernel.org/oe-kbuild-all/CAK8P3a3dvzLhAGV8rdCpX__54vkL0=e5pACUY-es3xiJau=uwg@mail.gmail.com/

> > randconfig builds right now, so I probably have a workaround for
> > it somewhere, but I can't find it.
> >
> > Arnd

2023-09-14 20:57:36

by Li, Philip