2023-11-16 08:12:07

by Maxime Ripard

Subject: Re: linux-next: Signed-off-by missing for commit in the drm-misc tree

On Tue, Nov 14, 2023 at 06:46:21PM -0500, Luben Tuikov wrote:
> On 2023-11-13 22:08, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> > BTW, cherry picking commits does not avoid conflicts - in fact it can
> > cause conflicts if there are further changes to the files affected by
> > the cherry picked commit in either the tree/branch the commit was
> > cheery picked from or the destination tree/branch (I have to deal with
> > these all the time when merging the drm trees in linux-next). Much
> > better is to cross merge the branches so that the patch only appears
> > once or have a shared branches that are merged by any other branch that
> > needs the changes.
> >
> > I understand that things are not done like this in the drm trees :-(
>
> Hi Stephen,
>
> Thank you for the clarification--understood. I'll be more careful in the future.
> Thanks again! :-)

In this case, the best thing to do would indeed have been to ask the
drm-misc maintainers to merge drm-misc-fixes into drm-misc-next.

We're doing that all the time, but we're not ubiquitous so you need to
ask us :)

Also, dim should have caught that when you pushed the branch. Did you
use it?

Maxime

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.15 kB)
signature.asc (235.00 B)

by Daniel Vetter

On Thu, Nov 16, 2023 at 09:11:43AM +0100, Maxime Ripard wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 14, 2023 at 06:46:21PM -0500, Luben Tuikov wrote:
> > On 2023-11-13 22:08, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> > > BTW, cherry picking commits does not avoid conflicts - in fact it can
> > > cause conflicts if there are further changes to the files affected by
> > > the cherry picked commit in either the tree/branch the commit was
> > > cheery picked from or the destination tree/branch (I have to deal with
> > > these all the time when merging the drm trees in linux-next). Much
> > > better is to cross merge the branches so that the patch only appears
> > > once or have a shared branches that are merged by any other branch that
> > > needs the changes.
> > >
> > > I understand that things are not done like this in the drm trees :-(
> >
> > Hi Stephen,
> >
> > Thank you for the clarification--understood. I'll be more careful in the future.
> > Thanks again! :-)
>
> In this case, the best thing to do would indeed have been to ask the
> drm-misc maintainers to merge drm-misc-fixes into drm-misc-next.
>
> We're doing that all the time, but we're not ubiquitous so you need to
> ask us :)
>
> Also, dim should have caught that when you pushed the branch. Did you
> use it?

Yeah dim must be used, exactly to avoid these issues. Both for applying
patches (so not git am directly, or cherry-picking from your own
development branch), and for pushing. The latter is even checked for by
the server (dim sets a special push flag which is very long and contains a
very clear warning if you bypass it).

If dim was used, this would be a bug in the dim script that we need to
fix.

Also backmerges (and in generally anything that is about cross-tree patch
wrangling, like cherry-picking) are maintainer duties in drm-misc and not
for committers:

https://drm.pages.freedesktop.org/maintainer-tools/maintainer-drm-misc.html#maintainer-s-duties

I think it'd be really good for Luben to go through the docs and supply a
patch to clarify this, if it's not clear from the existing docs.

We have some wording in the committer docs, but maybe it's not clear
enough:

https://drm.pages.freedesktop.org/maintainer-tools/committer-drm-misc.html#merge-criteria

"Any non-linear actions (backmerges, merging topic branches and sending
out pull requests) are only done by the official drm-misc maintainers (see
MAINTAINERS, or ask #dri-devel), and not by committers. See the examples
section in dim for more info"

Minor screw-ups like this gives us a great opportunity to improve the
tooling&docs, let's use it.

Cheers, Sima
--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation

2023-11-22 12:02:12

by Maxime Ripard

Hi Luben,

On Thu, Nov 16, 2023 at 09:27:58AM +0100, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 16, 2023 at 09:11:43AM +0100, Maxime Ripard wrote:

> > > Hi Stephen,
> > >
> > > Thank you for the clarification--understood. I'll be more careful in the future.
> > > Thanks again! :-)
> >
> > In this case, the best thing to do would indeed have been to ask the
> > drm-misc maintainers to merge drm-misc-fixes into drm-misc-next.
> >
> > We're doing that all the time, but we're not ubiquitous so you need to
> > ask us :)
> >
> > Also, dim should have caught that when you pushed the branch. Did you
> > use it?
>
> Yeah dim must be used, exactly to avoid these issues. Both for applying
> patches (so not git am directly, or cherry-picking from your own
> development branch), and for pushing. The latter is even checked for by
> the server (dim sets a special push flag which is very long and contains a
> very clear warning if you bypass it).
>
> If dim was used, this would be a bug in the dim script that we need to
> fix.

It would be very useful for you to explain what happened here so we
improve the tooling or doc and can try to make sure it doesn't happen
again

Maxime

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.96 kB)
signature.asc (235.00 B)

by Luben Tuikov

On 2023-11-22 07:00, Maxime Ripard wrote:
> Hi Luben,
>
> On Thu, Nov 16, 2023 at 09:27:58AM +0100, Daniel Vetter wrote:

>>> In this case, the best thing to do would indeed have been to ask the
>>> drm-misc maintainers to merge drm-misc-fixes into drm-misc-next.
>>>
>>> We're doing that all the time, but we're not ubiquitous so you need to
>>> ask us :)
>>>
>>> Also, dim should have caught that when you pushed the branch. Did you
>>> use it?
>>
>> Yeah dim must be used, exactly to avoid these issues. Both for applying
>> patches (so not git am directly, or cherry-picking from your own
>> development branch), and for pushing. The latter is even checked for by
>> the server (dim sets a special push flag which is very long and contains a
>> very clear warning if you bypass it).
>>
>> If dim was used, this would be a bug in the dim script that we need to
>> fix.
>
> It would be very useful for you to explain what happened here so we
> improve the tooling or doc and can try to make sure it doesn't happen
> again
>
> Maxime

There is no problem with the tooling--I just forced the commit in.
Luben

Attachments:
OpenPGP_0x4C15479431A334AF.asc (677.00 B)
OpenPGP public key
OpenPGP_signature.asc (243.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature

by Jani Nikula

On Wed, 22 Nov 2023, Luben Tuikov <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 2023-11-22 07:00, Maxime Ripard wrote:
>> Hi Luben,

>>> Yeah dim must be used, exactly to avoid these issues. Both for applying
>>> patches (so not git am directly, or cherry-picking from your own
>>> development branch), and for pushing. The latter is even checked for by
>>> the server (dim sets a special push flag which is very long and contains a
>>> very clear warning if you bypass it).
>>>
>>> If dim was used, this would be a bug in the dim script that we need to
>>> fix.
>>
>> It would be very useful for you to explain what happened here so we
>> improve the tooling or doc and can try to make sure it doesn't happen
>> again
>>
>> Maxime
>
> There is no problem with the tooling--I just forced the commit in.

Wait what?

What do you mean by forcing the commit in? Bypass dim?

If yes, please *never* do that when you're dealing with dim managed
branches. That's part of the deal for getting commit access, along with
following all the other maintainer tools documentation.

BR,
Jani.

--
Jani Nikula, Intel

2023-11-24 22:09:22

by Luben Tuikov

On 2023-11-24 08:20, Jani Nikula wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Nov 2023, Luben Tuikov <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On 2023-11-22 07:00, Maxime Ripard wrote:
>>> Hi Luben,

>>> It would be very useful for you to explain what happened here so we
>>> improve the tooling or doc and can try to make sure it doesn't happen
>>> again
>>>
>>> Maxime
>>
>> There is no problem with the tooling--I just forced the commit in.
>
> Wait what?
>
> What do you mean by forcing the commit in? Bypass dim?
>
> If yes, please *never* do that when you're dealing with dim managed
> branches. That's part of the deal for getting commit access, along with
> following all the other maintainer tools documentation.

Hi Jani,

I only use dim, ever.
Luben

Attachments:
OpenPGP_0x4C15479431A334AF.asc (677.00 B)
OpenPGP public key
OpenPGP_signature.asc (243.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature
Download all attachments