2024-05-02 17:38:55

by Andy Shevchenko

Subject: Re: [v1,1/3] drm/panel: ili9341: Correct use of device property APIs

On Fri, May 03, 2024 at 01:28:26AM +0800, Sui Jingfeng wrote:
> On 2024/5/2 15:34, Neil Armstrong wrote:

..

> > > Andy has thousands of commits in Linux. He's *very* far from being a new
> > > contributor.

> > > That might be what you wanted to express, but you definitely didn't
> > > express it that way.

> > > So far, you're the only one who reviewed those patches. I'm not sure
> > > what you're talking about here.
> >
> > Well I (as drm-panel maintainer) did review them positively

[...]

> > because the patches looked perfectly correct in regards of the commit
> > message
>
> The point is the 'fixes' tag.
>
> Then, can I ask what's the issue it fixes? I'm asking because I see the
> submitting-patches.html [1] documentation told us that a fixes tag indicates
> that the patch fixes an issue in a previous commit.
>
> Previously, the driver only meant to be used on the DT systems, so what's issue?

It fixes copy'n'paste error as far as I understand the motivation of this code.

> [1] https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/submitting-patches.html#reviewer-s-statement-of-oversight
>
> I copy & paste the paragraph from link [1] for easier to read. See below:
>
> "A Fixes: tag indicates that the patch fixes an issue in a previous commit. It
> is used to make it easy to determine where a bug originated, which can help
> review a bug fix. This tag also assists the stable kernel team in determining
> which stable kernel versions should receive your fix. This is the preferred
> method for indicating a bug fixed by the patch."
>
> > and the patchset motivation and
>
> OK, the motivation is good, I agree and I admit.
>
> > because I trust Andy being a long time contributor with a lot of
> > expertise.
>
> Does this means that you are going to merge patches from the experts without have a glance and
> reject or ignore novice's patches unconditionally?
>
> I'm asking because I see there still have a lot of other panel drivers use?of_device_get_match_data()
> function to get a match, and most of them has the 'OF' guard. However, in theory, panel should be
> able to use on any CPU architecture if necessary. Does the remains has the similar issue? or Do we
> need to fixed them together?
>
> $ find . -name "*.c" -type f | xargs grep "of_device_get_match_data"

$ git log --oneline --no-merges --grep device_get_match_data --author="Rob Herring"

So what does this prove?

> > Anyway since the rant is finished I'll land the patches.
>
> It's just *comments* or *remarks*, there really no need to use the 'rant'
> to insult and/or devalue other peoples, as it make no sense.

P.S.
You really need to study a kernel code a bit more before replying with long messages.
It will help everybody, I believe.

--
With Best Regards,
Andy Shevchenko